Saturday, September 29, 2012

Sept 28 Crazy Conger Eel Fishing




Twenty years ago I decided that I didn't want to be a "Blue Marlin Fisherman", a "King Mackerel Fisherman", or a "Speckled Trout Fisherman". I wanted to be good at every kind of fishing and sacrifice the chance to be really great at any one kind of fishing.... I loved the variety of Saltwater Fishing that North Carolina offered. Roll with the seasons. Different species come and go as the calender rolls by.... Also I learned that each time I went fishing to be flexible and be prepared for all sorts of scenarios and sometimes truly remarkable things happen... Or just very unusual things.... Last night was one of those unusual nights. An unexpected species showed up in large Numbers and Sizes! Conger Eels are the European equivalent to our American Eels. (I think?) Unlike our American Eel, they grow to enormous sizes and they are very hard fighters. Worthy to be called a gamefish, I'd say...... Every fall I catch a few Conger Eels while Flounder or Red Drum fishing in Taylor's Creek. I also used to catch a few in winter while fishing for Black Sea Bass. Well, last night at Hatteras Inlet, there was a Conger Explosion. Considering the time----330am----I think I did a pretty good job of exploiting my first Conger Eel blitz! When the smoke had cleared, I had caught 5 Congers, including my two career bests at 6lbs and 8lbs. I also released 3 smaller ones. Wow, great Conger Eel Fishing. Let that sink in.... This afternoon I'n going to try to trade my Eels for 2 Chinese Buffet up at Avon, NC. If it works, you gotta love those Eels! Total Catch for the Night: 5 Conger Eels up to 8lbs, 4 Black Sea Bass, 8 Pinfish, 4 Bluefish, 4 Silver Perch, 6 Silver Porgy and 6 At Thread Herring   

5 comments:

Chris said...

So, buffet? Or, no buffet?

Capt. Marty said...

No Buffet! Can't believe it. Had to pay $$ for my House Lo Mein. Conger is very popular in the Asian Markets... I guess like everything else, that crowd has been on the Outer Banks too long....

Capt. Marty said...

Tomorrow for lunch I'm having....... fried eel and flounder. I am also cooking Mullet gizzards and Mullet Roe... Jennifer and I agree, since I devour so much good traditional and odd fish and fish "parts", I should give a weekly recap of the fish that I prepare and/or eat. Opinion?

Anonymous said...

As Andrew Zimmerman says....if it looks good eat it. I love some smoked eel sushi style. Part of your reports SHOULD be photos of cooking what you caught. I think all outdoor shows on tv (hunting and fishing) would be much more interesting if they'd show folks different ways to prepare what they've taken. Just don't show everything fried up.....that's a no brainer.

Anonymous said...

I hаve read sо manу сontent οn the
topiс of the blοgger lovers but this article is гeallу a pleasаnt post, kеep it up.
Feel free to visit my web site ... pikavippi