Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sept 6 Big Suprize in Taylor's Creek

Things are not going so well.... The beautiful weather of the past month has turned to crap. Hurricane Swell and persistant SWwind is making life miserable for the Small Boat Angler around Beaufort Inlet.... Meanwhile Red Drum are en fuego in the Neuse River. Two little problems stand in my way. Two beautifully sad big brown eyes attached to my equally beautiful Girlfriend when I mention fishing all night on the Neuse River or Pamlico Sound. As much as I love her, I NEVER LET THAT STAND IN MY WAY!  The real problem is the Fuel Pump on the Top Water Fishing Truck has died and I just watched her ride away on a Wrecker. Sad day indeed. Five Hundred dollars GONE and an EPIC DRUM CHEW missed...... Maybe..... Perhaps I can pull something off Friday or Saturday or Sunday.... In the meantime, while waiting for the Wrecker, on 4 straight casts in Taylor's Creek, I caught 3 Red Drum and a ........ Drum Roll Please....... In 40 years (yeah I said 40 years) of fishing off this Dock, My First ever Dock Cobia.... He slurped up a Gulp and waged a galliant battle on light spinning tackle. When he first popped up 75 feet out, he looked like a 25 pounder. As I gained on him and threaded him through pilings and boats and other obstacles, he stayed deep. Finally, he raced up in the shallows. On my first good look, I saw that he had a buddy. A twin. Finally after a 5 minutes give and take struggle, I wedged my 11 lb Cobia into my landing net. Thinking lets get the other one too, I hurriedly tried to unhook Cobia #1. As he twisted and turned inside the net, Cobia #2 escaped to deep water. Regardless, it was great moment in "Dock Fishing History".  Joining these catches as My Best Ever Dock Experiences: 1. 10lb 11oz Flounder on 10-18-2003, 2. 6 Flounder over 6 Pounds in 6 drops on 10-31-2005,   3. 100 Red Drum on light spin for Mark Rouse & I on one afternoon on 11-4-2004,   4. Ladyfish blitz of a lifetime 8-25-2009,   5. 11 lb Cobia on light spin 9-6-2012....... Total Catch for the Day: 11 lb Cobia and 3 Red Drum 17" to 20"

10 comments:

Mike said...

Great dock fishing and Rouse in the same sentence? Strange.....

adimral said...

Lot calmer on the dock the little sail still is pretty cool

Anonymous said...

My captain has his mojo back!!!! Epic fishing is now upon us!!!

Twell

Tom Chesebro said...

Sounds like fun Marty!!!

Did you put us down for a charter on Monday Oct 8?
We are really looking forward to our trip and your charter!!!
Thanks Marty.

Tom Chesebro

Capt. Marty said...

TWELL BONADUCE,

An African Pompano escapes. A 12lb Sheepshead Escapes. A 75lb Cobia escapes. A 40+ King Mackerel escapes. My Truck dies ......

I catch a baby Cobia. I'm glad you are confident that slump is over. We shall see......

Capt. Marty said...

Tom,

Mon Oct 8. Columbus Day. I got you down. Call me on Oct 6 or 7. 252-241-8350. Look Forward to it!

Capt Marty

Anonymous said...

That cobia confirms what I suspected I hooked up with while tossing gulp at the docks a few days ago. Something hit with a vicious force, liked to jerked the rod out of my hand and headed deep and fast. I had 3 rods out with finger mullet and the power pole down and no time to do anything except tighten the drag. You know what happened after I did that....

Anonymous said...

Maety

Water puppy been fishing down there at ur dock

Ronnie Mc

Capt. Marty said...

Its okay if the WaterD fishes there. Snoop Watery Dogg recognizes a great place when he sees it. Thanks for keeping an eye on my place though man...

Anonymous said...

Sipping Gin and Juice. Laid Back.