Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sept 4 Inshore Sailfish and Hurricane Swells

Gerald and I fought huge swells from Hurricane Leslie and wind chop from 18 kt SW wind and it made fishing very difficult. The day started good with us quickly catching 36 nice live Menhaden. We made the decision to run east first and left Barden's Inlet and got smacked in the face by very rough conditions. Fishable, but rough. With the Eastside of the Shoals being a little more than we wanted and my favorite Rocks to the South too far away/too rough, we made the decision to run back down to the west to AR-315. Once there, we knew the huge ground swell would kill the fishing and we figured we were basically looking for one bite and hoping it would be a BIG ONE! After a few trips around the Reef we noticed a thin black and purple shape following one of our live baits. Gerald was probably thinking Houndfish, but I knew those colors from past encounters and I thought what I was seeing was very interesting. However, I figured the shape I saw was too small to be a Sailfish? So, as my gaze was fixed on the mysterious fish, I wondered out loud what it was.... And then it twitched its dorsal muscle and up came the prettiest little sail fin you've ever seen. It must have raised it fully erect and it was only about 18" high. Damn, it was a Sailfish after all.... After about 30 seconds of exciting anticipation, the tiny Sailfish charged the Menhaden and got itself tangled up in the trailing treble hook. Three jumps later, he was beside the boat and Gerald and I marveled at the smallest "live" Billfish either of us had ever seen. The little Sailfish was probably around 28"-30" long and 3-4 pounds, I'd guess. I scrambled for my camera and just as I was getting it out of its bag Gerald announced that the tiny gladiator had shook his head violently and thrown the hook. In a split second, the little Sailfish had disappeared in a swirl on top of a 5 foot ground swell. Gone without a picture. The swell had reached us from SE of Bermuda.... I wonder where the little Sailfish's travels will take him? After that we caught a Barracuda and a Shark. Rough as a Cob. Poor Fishing. Good Time with Admiral Currin. Total Catch for the Day: a 4 lb Sailfish, a 25 lb Barracuda and a 8 lb Sharpnose Shark

5 comments:

Mike said...

Pretty sail.

Mike said...

Tiny Gladiator? Nice.

Capt. Marty said...

A worthy opponent for Admiral Currin. A tiny gladiator. An un-named opponent would've been overmatched

Anonymous said...

Rouse. The un- named one?

Anonymous said...

When ѕоmеonе ωrites an article he/she retains the thought of a user in his/her
mind that how a user сan be аware of it.
So thаt's why this post is perfect. Thanks!

Here is my site - local garden centers