Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sept 10 Career Best Spanish Mackerel





Today was a very busy day for me. The day I go back to work. Say my goodbyes to my parents and feel guilty for not being a better son during the past week. Take newspapers and breakfast to my Dad over at Harborview rehabbing a Hip Surgery... Walking my Mommas dog and giving her medicine like I should've been doing all week... "Way to come through in the clutch, son"... Big Help last day.... Missing in Action days 1 through 6.... For all that I'm genuinely sorry.... Then there is my beautiful wife Jennifer... I've loved her since she hit the bulls eye in Capt Russel's Lounge back in 1995... Regardless of that, our time together has been minimal... All that's going to change now. She's my soulmate and I'm stuck to her like a Remora is stuck on a Lemon Shark... But I still had to say goodbye this morning... Then I had Tiger, Emma, and Little Sid. I even had to go out and catch Little Sid's food for a few days.... I can't expect Jennifer to catch worms, minnows, or crickets for my pet Bluegill! Finally I had to pack clothes, personal supplies, fishing equipment, food and drink for 7 days. And if that ain't enough, I have to leave home by noon to catch the 1 pm Ferry or I can leave home by 1230 and drive to Hatteras. That leaves me a 30 minute buffer.... All of that THIS MORNING.... Now, this is a FISHING BLOG, so what's the catch? Well, y'all know me! Here lately. I've been averaging a Citation Fish per day is a whole helluva lot of temptation. Too much for Capt Marty..... So like a damn fool, after performing my duty list... I launched the damn Top Water Boat.... Raced to the bait.... Caught it..... Raced to the spot.... And fished for 60 minutes! It was worth it. The Spanish Mackerel is an important fish in my Life and my Fishing Development... A 3 lb 8oz Spanish Mackerel caught on a gotcha plug off the Morehead Ocean Pier in August 1974 made me a FISHERMAN right then and there and nothing ever pulled that label off me. I was 9 years old that was a break-through catch... Over the years, Spanish Mackerel have made lots of memories and been targeted and supplied bragging rights a many a day.... And today, I got my new career largest Spanish Mackerel! To me, that is ONE HELLUVA IMPORTANT FISH.... The first of 3 Strikes. I got my giant Spanish Mackerel. She was 30 inches long with a 17 inch girth. This Spanish Mackerel weighed 9 lbs. A minute later I crashed back to Earth when I pulled off a rather healthy King Mackerel after a 5 minute battle... I'm guessing 25 pounder. Ouch ... Then came a lull. I said 10 more minutes and gotta go. At the 2 minute to go mark, I got a bite, of course. Caught a "run of the mill" 6 lb citation Spanish Mackerel... Hauled ass in. Sprayed off the Boat. Jumped in the Truck and drove to Hatteras. I love you Momma, Daddy, and Jennifer.... And Emma. And Tiger. And Little Sid. I'll be better to everyone when I get home... If the fish quit biting, I'll be the best son and husband ever!!! Total Catch for the Day: 2 Spanish Mackerel up to 9 lbs   ****Also, Sorry about the absolute pathetic PHOTO quality****

6 comments:

Capt. Marty said...

And Saint Egbert of Iglacious

Anonymous said...

You been on a tear man. How long do you think those Mackeral will be around?

Capt. Marty said...

Okay couple of answers to that question... The big adult Spanish in the Inlet could possibly hang around for another month. There must be a food supply there to their liking. More likely that before they're gone south for winter that they'll move out around wrecks and rocks in 60-90 ft of water... This could happen until early November.... The smaller Spanish that I cast to (others troll for) will be around until mid October.. Fishing should get really good up on the Shoals and just to the west. The traditional "stovepipe" fishery is about to kick off... The old charterboaters called the 3-5 pound Mackerel "stove pipes" back in the 1970's... The name is still popular in Sept/oct.... To be continued......

Capt. Marty said...

The big Spanish in the Inlet, I'd honestly be suprized if that lasts much longer. They are much more likely to found at the local Artificial Reefs and areas of high relief... It has been a nice run for me personally. However, during this same time period, I could've caught them down at AR-315 and who knows, I might've caught limits of them down there... One of my finest days of fishing in my life occurred back in July of 1992 at AR-315. That morning I was supposed to fish with Bryan Goodwin, who was working for Bill Hitchcock at the time. They were producing a local fishing show and Bryan was supposed to do a show with me... At the last minute, Bryan had to stay home and baby sit his baby girl.... Funny thing, 21 years later, that little girl, Sammi, is a beautiful woman.... Bryan, who is now producing his own fishing show, is my Brother-in-Law... Well anyway, that morning I had to go by myself and what I found was the greatest day of Spanish Mackerel Fishing that I've ever encountered. Ten Spanish Mackerel. That was my limit. Total weight was 70 pounds. Ten NC Citations. It would've been a great great TV show and regardless, it was a day I'll never forget!

James W Lung said...

Marty: Have you ever considered a third career as a writer? You're as good an outdoor writer as any I've read.

Capt. Marty said...

James,

I've actually got an offer on the table right now. I have got to get off my butt and get a resume together. And thank you for the compliment by the way! I hope we can get together soon and catch something extraordinary!