Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sept 24-30 Late Night Fishing at Hatteras Inlet








Here I sit, back at my Eastern Headquarters, working another Night Shift...... I will use this post to make my nightly Fish and Fishing Activity Reports. In the past, this would be a great week of catching Flounders, with several NC Citations... This year my expectations are low. I do expect to catch lots of Jumping Mullets in my Cast Net and I also expect to Gig several nice Flounders.... Who knows, maybe some of that "Old Capt Marty Magic" will come back and I will catch a Bragging Sized Flounder and/or Sheepshead.... If I'm feeling really fishy, I might try to figure out a way to get out to the Blue Water... Hatteras, right now, is probably experiencing The Best Wahoo Fishing in the World. Recently, every single Charter Boat out of Hatteras caught their limit (14 or 16) Wahoo.... I can see ONE BOAT, but EVERY BOAT! That's Amazing. Finally, I am going to hit the Beach at least a couple of times. Looking for..........a Pompano

Sept 24- There was alot going on tonight. Everywhere you looked, some kind of fish was doing something on the surface. Lots of activity. The weirdest thing was for about 15 minutes, right at 4am, a bunch of Ribbonfish started airing it out. Sometimes 3 at a time. I had never once seen a Ribbonfish jump in my life.... Suddenly, last night, they were hurling themselves skyward all over the Ferry Basin. It was impressive. I didn't catch any. I didn't do a good job of figuring things out. I stuck with the tried and true methods. Jigging with a 5" white Gulp Jerk Shad and fishing a live Mullet... I caught 3 Summer Flounders and 2 Southern Flounders. I also caught a friendly Oyster Toadfish. I also cast netted a load of Jumping Mullets and gigged 4 Southern Flounders. Good Night Everybody, I've been up all night and I'm tired....

Sept 25- This is where "Good Job, Capt Marty" meets "Capt Marty, who the hell cares!"..... I watched those Ribbonfish jump again last night until I just couldn't take it anymore. I had to figure out how to catch them. They were easy enough to catch at the MHC Port Wall back in the King Mackerel Tournament Heyday.... Lucrative too, at $3 to $5 a pop! Anyway, I rigged up a slip bobber and baited up long thin silvery strips of cut bait and..... Woo-La, here come the Ribbonfish, plus Gray Trout and Bluefish. With my attention divided, I got a bite on a big Finger Mullet that pulled lots of drag and wrapped me up on a piling and broke off, popped the 80# PowerPro on barnacles.... So eerily reminiscent of the 10 lb 6oz Flounder I caught in the same spot, on the same bait, exactly 9 years ago.... I am pretty freaking sure that I lost a Doormat Flounder tonight. Damnation.... I did manage to catch 5 Flounder total, including a 22" Summer Flounder that weighed 4 lbs.

Sept 26- The wind was blowing like crazy. North-Northeast Wind. Its a terrible direction for fishing or gigging. Of course, that didn't stop me. I had my chance to be a hero. In Hatteras Inlet, at 3am, standing knee deep in waist high breakers..... Dirty, foam streaked water.... I saw 2 Doormat Flounders. One was running, but it ran right by me. I struck with my gig. Nothing. I missed. Minutes later I was still shaky. I saw another one. Ten Pound Flounder. This one was deeper, but it wasn't moving! I moved in, Got ready. Struck with my steel shaft! Nothing. I missed. Unreal..... I quit right then. It was too rough and too dangerous, and no need to beat myself up..... "LOSER" So I went back to the boat and had a blast catching Ribbonfish. I quickly caught 4 on spin with cut bait and the slip-bobber. Then I got out the trusty 7wt Fly Rod with a white clouser. I worked hard but I got 6 strikes. Out of those, I landed 4 Ribbonfish on fly. One finally bit off my fly and that was that! I also caught several Bluefish and Pinfish. On the Flounder rod, I had one bite.... And found trouble in the form of a Conger Eel. Great..... Goodnight Everyone

Sept 27 and Sept 28- Too much wind. No Fishing. No Gigging. No Castnetting

Sept 29- I was looking at a big night of gigging, and then at midnight a pick-up truck load of giggers showed up and got an hour headstart on me.... DONE. So I played with the fly rod and it was a Pinfish and Bluefish festival. I was trying for 100 releases, but after an hour I said, "WHY?" and went to bed. (I'm guessing 60 Pins and 20 Blues) Not before a 17" Summer Flounder and my new career best Conger Eel grabbed my bait. A 9 lb Conger Eel. Scary

Sept 30- I was tired and it was blowing..... I wanted to hit the Jumping Mullets with my cast net to get some to take home to my Daddy. No Luck..... Earlier in the night I caught a 8" Lizardfish that swallowed a 5" jerkbait. Linda Lovelace would've been proud. I also caught 3 little Flounders..... That's it!

Total Catch for the Week: 5 Summer Flounder up to 22", 9 Southern Flounder up to 19", 32 Bluefish, 2 Gray Trout up to 16", 11 Ribbonfish up to 36", 2 Conger Eels at 6 lbs and 9 lbs, 1 Inshore Lizardfish, 69 Pinfish, and 1 Oyster Toadfish

No comments: