Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Upcoming Adventures with NC Mountain Trout





Next week when I get home I will be joining Jalen up at Cullowhee for some fly fishing and ultra light spin for Mountain Trout in the Tuckasegee River. I am so excited. I've only caught 10 Mountain Trout from Natural Surroundings in my life. That's 8 Rainbow Trout and 2 Brook Trout. Jalen is pretty confident that I will catch lots and lots of Trout. Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout, and Brown Trout. I can not wait to get my first Brown Trout. One of the Top-100 Gamefish on Earth by anyone's standards.... I'm stoked. I'll be happy with 20 fish in 2 days and Jalen promises that we'll top that in the first 2 hours.... We will be fishing pretty near that opening of a Delayed Harvest Stream and that means the NC Inland Fisheries Commission has put nearly 10,000 Trout in the Tuckaegee and delayed the opening to allow these Hatchery-raised Trout to get acclimated to the Natural Environment... While I'm out there, I will also be taking a shot at my first Smallmouth Bass and also Spotted Bass.... Once again, Smallmouth Bass are another of the Top-100 Gamefish on Earth by anyone's estimation. Finally, Jalen will also be taking me to a spot where the wild Brook Trout live and there is something spiritual, mystical, magical, and enchanted (If you are a Fisherman, if you aren't they are cute little minnows) about catching these special creatures.... The Brook Trout is the only true native Trout that was found east of the Mississippi River.... If I can get a Brown Trout and a Smallmouth Bass on this trip, I will consider this a Landmark Fishing Trip.... My youth is evading me and my bucket list is starting to look daunting.... To knock off 2 big ones like this in one trip, this could be huge in my fishing career!

Of note, there is a cool website at www.flyfishingtrail.com that covers the area that I will be fishing.. Also, Jalen is more than likely going to put himself in business as a Fishing Guide up near Cullowhee in the near Future. If any of my readers like what they read and see when I cover my actual fishing trip, I can forward you Jalen's number as soon as he's set-up to start guiding.... I can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking fwd to that Report

Capt. Marty said...

Jalen is getting ready. he's pumped up. He's up late at night tying flies!

I spent an hour playing with my fly rod last night. I'm getting better. I constantly wonder "How good do I need to be?"

I can't wait. Something tells me that this trip is going to make me think about living in the mountains one day!