Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sept 10 Part 2 Flounder on the Fly

I've been playing with my Fly Rod all summer in this one spot trying to catch a Flounder. Last night I did it... But not before getting my feelings hurt...  So I dropped a white, weighted fly that Jalen tied for me on a sandy shoal in a about a foot of water.... First drop and, as usual. a Flounder blew up a puff of sand as it exploded off the bottom to pursue my fly.... Just like a dozen others have done all summer.... Perhaps this one started off out on the edge of the light field where I couldn't see it clearly. Or, perhaps this one just blew up more sand then others and it obscured my vision for a second. For whatever reason, even as I clearly saw it was a Flounder, it didn't sink into my thick skull the size and magnitude of the Flounder that I'd just seen! By the way, all of this action is under a bright light and everything that happens is in perfectly "plain view".... Last nights water was extra clear also.... So anyway, Mr Flounder enhales the fly and settles to the bottom..... I quickly and firmly strike with the 7wt Fly Rod and the rod develops a deep bend and Mr Flounder immediately starts shaking his head violently.... His gyrations are telegraphed up the heavy fly line right into my left hand... Cool, this is a solid hook-up.... Because the water is only a foot deep, the Flounder is on the surface in seconds.... I peer over the side and "Holy Toledo, I'm looking at a freaking mini-Halibut".........  The Flounder that was sitting there with the white fly in it's mouth was of little resemblence to the Flounder I thought I had seen rise, chase, and eat the white fly! The Flounder I was looking at, I'm guessing was 22" long and between 4-5 pounds... Suddenly I'm having visions of grandeur. At the same time, I'm also thinking "how can I land this thing, my net is 200 feet away".... Then suddenly it's over. The tiny hook pulled. Damn.... Minutes later, I unceremoniously landed my first ever Flounder on Fly. A sporty 12" Southern Flounder. A certain future Doormat, no doubt. Regardless, it was another Mission Accomplished.... Later in the night, at South Dock and using live Thread Herring, I catch 3 more Southern Flounder and 2 very vocal jumbo Oyster Toadfish... That's it. Good night everyone. I've been up 25 hours! Total Catch for the Night: 4 Southern Flounder and 2 Oyster Toadfish

No comments: