Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sept 5 Incredible Casting Action





This might just be a day I'll never forget....... Details later. As for the Fishing, I promised John some wild and wooly casting action for Bluefish, Albacore, and Red Drum..... Thats' a Home Run and 2 Strike Outs.... The Albacore were a bonafide mystery. We found them again but after casting a hundred times into a foamy feeding forays and not getting strikes... And seeing a single stingsilver splash in the midst of an acre of feeding fish and ALL THE FISH suddenly disappear, I swear Albacore don't act like that.... I think that today we were casting over acres of feeding adult Frigate Mackerel, Those aggravating damn things started showing up at Cape Lookout in May and June of 2012. I've seen them on the eastside last March and again 15 miles out in June.... I honestly think that today we were slinging metal lures to Frigate Mackerel instead of Albacore. Other than being aggravating, no-biting pests, the Frigates are nearly identical to juvenile Albacore..... Also, the Red Drum never showed up for us... I suspect a couple of other boats impacted our chances. Whatever. We looked for them and found a great casting session right up on eastern beach.... Every cast was intercepted by all sorts of gamey predators. Blue Runners, Ladyfish, Crevalle Jacks, Spanish Mackerel, and Bluefish.... We were stationed just beyond the breakers and casting into a slough right up against the Beach. Great Great Casting Session.... Earlier, we had already hammered the Bluefish.... We also saw a 25 lb Crevalle Jack, a Tarpon, many Pompano, and many Blacktip Sharks..... I've probably burned out on casting metal for now. I'd love to go up there and target Pompano with Sand Fleas..... I doubt I got energy for that....We'll see..... Total Catch for the Day: 60 Bluefish up to 3 lbs, 12 Spanish Mackerel up to 3 lbs, 3 Blue Runner up to 2 lbs, 1 Crevalle Jack at 6 lbs, 1 Ladyfish at 3 lbs, and 1 Agujon 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to rest that casting arm until I come down there. I have about 50 sling silvers that I need to throw plus I want to try my new jigging method I think I have perfected.

My dad asked on Tuesday if I could set up a trip like last year. This time I'll make sure Buck has enough meds, so he doesn't want to, well you know, play with the anglers on the other boats.

Brent

Capt. Marty said...

Brent

Casting is amazing right now. The fish busting in the shallows on the shoals. Could be anything.

Caught a Ladyfish today and a 25 lb Crevalle Jack, 2 dozen Blue Runners, and 60 bluefish followed it to the boat.

Then I was chasing down a Tarpon to cast to and I ran over 100+ Pompano. 2 pounders!

Hook a 3 lb Bluefish and Blacktips and Sandbar Sharks chase em until they practically jump in the boat.

Yes sir fishing is alive and well right now. Casting is great

Chris said...

Somebody caught something that looked like that Agujon of the BI Pier last week. They were calling it a Gar. Piscine Taxonomy enters the twilight zone over there sometimes, I think.

Capt. Marty said...

All members of the Needlefish family are called "Gar".... Argue with a local around here and risk being called an idiot along with the normal "dingbatter" or "dit dot". Around here, we mostly see Atlantic Needlefish or the much larger Houndfish.. There are 3 or 4 lesser known species in this area. A "Gar" is a freshwater fish that is rarely found on the coast. A week after a Hurricane and the resulting floodwater will occasionally carry them to salt water. It seems like they survive a little while. I've seen a couple of live ones around the Ferry Dock lights at night. Ive seen more dead ones floating dead in the Sound or washed up on the shoreline....