Saturday, October 5, 2013

Oct 4 Tuckasegee River Trout Frenzy









Good day on the Tuckasegee River. I caught a trophy Brook Trout that was big enough for a NC Freshwater Citation. The Rainbow Trout fishing was excellent. Unfortunately, I did not catch a Brown Trout...... I got to see one though.... I'll be damned if Jalen didn't catch one on his first cast.... Here's the way it went:  Jalen cast across the current, started stripping his fly back, turned towards me and said, "Do it just like this, Marty..... Hey, I got a bite...... oh hell, it's a Brown Trout!" And we never saw another Brown Trout the rest of the Day (or the next day)....... Other than that, Rainbow Trout fishing was great. Before lunch I caught 23 Rainbow Trout and 2 Brook Trout. My largest fish was my 17" Brook Trout. My largest Rainbow Trout was probably around 13"..... Jalen didn't catch his usual number because he was staying with me and helping. I was hampered by poor footing. Walking in current on slippery rocks with rubber boots is horrific. After lunch I bought a pair of felt-soled wading boots and that issue was fixed..... When we returned to the River Jalen went out on his own and bombarded them. I struggled for a long time. Just before dark we re-united and found a huge school of Trout with quite a few HUGE Trout. They looked to be well over 20"... Unfortunately, the big ones would not bite anything. It was annoying to cast to them over and over and watch them roll behind your fly, follow your fly, or just purely ignore your fly.... After we gave up on those, we both managed to catch some of the smaller Rainbow Trout on Dry Fies. I never imagined myself doing that..... There was a small hatch going on of some little white insect. Caddis Fly I guess..... Jalen dug 2 tiny flies out of his box and we rigged them up on 1 lb test leader.... We threw them out there and I'll be damned if those Trout didn't come up and slurp them down. Amazing...... At the end of the day, I figured that I caught 33 Rainbow Trout and 2 Brook Trout. Tacking on Jalen's afternoon numbers makes our catch really impressive. Jalen got a Grand Slam. I was a Brown Trout shy of one..... Total Catch for the Day: 80 Rainbow Trout up to 13", 6 Brook Trout up to 17", and 1 Brown Trout at 12"