Sunday, October 6, 2013

Oct 6 Bass and Bream Slamming the Fly



I guess I got a little case of "Fly Rod Fever". Back home, my best bet was a small Pond near my house that I never used to fish... I gave up on it years ago. Too shallow. The Bass were stunted. The Bream were stunted.... A couple months ago, when the Top Water Boat was out of commission, I caught 3 really nice Bass out of it, including a 5 lb Largemouth Bass. That one blew my mind... The worst of the Mung Holes is now The Crown Jewel..... I also let it rest as I got busy in the Boat again.... Today, I went back to my "new favorite" to check it out. Armed with the 3wt Fly and some popping bugs.... I quickly got the Beaufort Freshwater Grand Slam. Plenty of Bluegills. I didn't get any of the larger Largemouth Bass. It looked like they were on the windward side and I couldn't get to them with the Fly Rod. There were some amazing explosions in the Shallows over there. Great action where I stood though. Plenty of fish "popping" the Bug. Lots of Bluegill bites. These Bluegills are consistently the largest ones in Beaufort that I've found. By next summer, I think they'll be big enough to eat. Hell, they are now..... It wasn't really too much of a let down after the Mountains...... It was fun! Total Catch for the Day: 20 Bluegill, 1 Pumpkinseed, and 3 Largemouth Bass

No comments: