Friday, October 18, 2013

Oct 18- Giant Albacore and Bluefish Frenzy




Not my best day.... Some mistakes were made, we had some wire malfunctions, we lost some "big fish" to tangles and twists, we broke "big fish" on a Wreck, and finally, I tried to net a 8-9 lb Spanish Mackerel as opposed to gaff it and that ended in disaster with the hooks hung on the net and the Spanish getting out and getting gone in a flash.... I am sorry Brent, no body feels worse than me.... Then we had a throttle break down that honestly, had it occured an hour earlier, we would have been in big trouble.... But it didn't and its fixed now. Props to Stacy who I hired to mate for a day. He caught the bait, he made rigs, he set out our spread, and he fixed my boat. Thanks again Stacy..... The fishing was as "action packed" as you would want it..... Unfortunately, the majority of our bites came from oversized stud Albacores. I weighed a 20 lb Albacore on my BogaGrip and we had 2 other just that large. We had another that wasn't that heavy but was still 34" long.... Albacore Citation City...... We also missed a 25 lb King that "parted the wire" after skying on the bait and smoking the reel...... The wire broke...... When that happened, we were amazed..... Then it repeated itself over and over again...... We also lost Amberjacks and other Albacore, and mystery strikes to "wire failure"..... I've never seen it before. #4 Malin single strand breaking over and over. It was embarrassing, but when you're on the Ocean, you can't simply go get more...... Then came the "Spanish fiasco". Brent caught him on a stingsilver and light spin..... We had 2 big fish hooked up and pulling drag on the live bait rods, plus we were right over the Wreck..... I thought the net would be quicker and easier. Wrong and that was that. My fault, time to move on from that..... The day spiralled down hill after that..... Much later, we found a major Bluefish frenzy on the eastern edge of the Shoals. Everybody caught all they wanted.... I sent the men home with an apology and a bag of Triggerfish fillets. Once again, Stacy cleaned all those Triggers. I ruined the day. Stacy saved the day....... Total Catch for the Day: 5 Albacore from 16-20 lbs, 25 Bluefish from 2-3 lbs, 2 Sharpnose Sharks, 5 Pinfish, 1 Hogfish, 1 Tomtate, and 2 Black Sea Bass

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Win some battles
Lose some
Keep fighting

Anonymous said...

That wasn't just any Spanish, it was a NC State Record Spanish. It had been feeding on the 20 lb albacore and had chased all the kings away. Truth be told, Marty knocked it off so he could catch it himself today. He will probably find it munching on a big wahoo or one of the spinner sharks we saw yesterday.

We threatened to cover Marty in stingsilvers and feed him to the blues and have Stacy charter us around. But then we wouldn't have had anyone to make fun of the rest of the day.

You can't say Marty can't put you on the fish, putting them in the boat however is a little more of a challenge.

I think I am going to cut down my charters with Marty from 2-3 year to maybe 2 1/2 a year. He can use that 1/2 day to work on his netting skills.

I guess I'll see you again in a few weeks, you just have to promise to leave that net at home so I won't have flashbacks of you knocking my world record Spanish off.

Brent

Capt. Marty said...

I swear Thats the first day I've had a net on my boat in 2 years.... Obviously, I missed last years Trout season. Anyway, if you guys want to go livebait fishing again, I'll try to get Stacy again. It was alot of fun. Stacy and I spent. 30-40 days a year together a while back. He is a great boatsman and fisherman! See you soon Brent. That Sp Mack can push World Record a few minnows down the road! Hell, I think the state record and the world record are one and the same..... Yep, Capt Woody Outlaw and Robert Cranton with the 13 lb 0 oz Spanish Mackerel on Nov. 4, 1987. All Tackle World Record. NC State Record.

ATBob said...

AM I confused or are those false albacore?

Capt. Marty said...

Yeah. Little Tunny. Fat Albert. False Albacore....... I usually just call them Albacore myself.....

Strangely, Va Beach is having a run of true Albacore. Longfin Tuna. White Meat Tuna.... Beautiful Creatures. Check out Va Beach Fishing Center and archive early October Fishing Reports

Anonymous said...

Quite whining bert