Sunday, October 6, 2013

Oct 5 Fishing for Wild Trout




We spent the morning on the Tuckasegee River so I could try for a Brown Trout..... No luck. I caught a few Rainbow Trout. Jalen slipped off and caught a bunch of Rainbow Trout. The Brown Trout, I have learned, are hard to come by...... I saw one caught on a spinning rod. That's it..... After about 2 hours in the big River, we pulled out and drove up into the high country. To a place called Moses Creek. A place where you can't imagine, from looking at the size of the Creek, that there would be anything that lives there... You also wonder, How on Earth did these Trout ever get to exist in such a place? For a first timer, like me, it is an incredible experience..... Jalen was disappointed because he said the fishing was really tough today.... Like the fish weren't even there.... Well, I can say this.... There is NO POSSIBLE WAY for those poor little fish TO GO ANYWHERE!.... Their entire universe is a Pool that is no larger than the Welcome Mat under your front door..... So, to fish here casting is unnecessary and impossible. You reach forward with your rod tip and drop your tiny Dry Fly at the head of the pool and let it drift through the Pool, a process that takes 3 seconds. A little more if your fly finds an eddy. The first time I saw a tiny swirl under my Fly, I couldn't believe it. Lightning fast, but they have to be.... If a morsal of food enters their pool, they've got a second or two to catch it before its gone! So, first I saw a fish. Next I finally hooked a fish. Then I actually landed a fish. Then I got a second fish! First I caught a wild Brook Trout that I dropped off the fly. He fell back into the Creek before I could pull my camera out. Luckily Jalen later caught one so I was able to get a picture of a nearly identical fish. In the last pool at the end of my "bad back" capabilities, I also caught a wild Rainbow Trout. Born and bred, and will live it's entire life in this this tiny creek. Absolutely Amazing....... Here is where MY OPINION starts------This "Fishing" is an entirely different experience than any other Fishing I have ever experienced. What an amazing SPORT, HOBBY, and WAY OF LIFE. Some people go fishing. Other people "LIVE IT". I live, eat, and breathe fishing. Anybody that loves Fishing has go to go Creek fishing for Native Trout..... That Rainbow Trout pictured in my hand is 100 times more amazing than any Blue Marlin that was caught today in the Atlantic Ocean.... I can promise you that------This is where MY OPINION ends...... Total Catch for the Day: 20 Rainbow Trout 4" to 8" and 3 Brook Trout 3" to 6"

**Catching the 3" Brook Trout & 4" Rainbow Trout are just as spectacular as catching a 50 lb Fish***

4 comments:

Tom Chesebro said...

Sounds like you had a blast catching those trout Capt Marty !!!
Good for you to experience that in your life...its like me, until 10 years ago I had never even seen saltwater!!! Now I live right near it...and man do I have a lot to learn !!!!
By the way, I loved the barracuda and the amberjack meat...tasted fine to me !!!
Thanks again.
Tom

Capt. Marty said...

Altight Tom, glad you liked it! King Mackerel are going off here... It's funny. Lots of people love King Fishing, but they don't like to eat them. Even those that do eat them will tell you that they are not a versatile food fish..... Grilled, maybe fried... That's it. Oily as hell and fishy..... Jacks and Cudas, on the other hand, fight better than Kings and are just plain "more fun".. As a food fish, both are white meat, flaky and can be prepared many different ways.. Yet, they are shunned... As a matter of fact, people will ridicule me for making this comment! Barracuda and Amberjack are as good as/ better than Grouper or Mahi Mahi or Cobia..... Sorry, I've served it up, side by side, too many times... The result is always the same as long as people don't know what they're eating!

Tom Chesebro said...

No complaints here about the meat....I'll have to go Cobia fishin' with you next year. I'll go after whatever tastes good !!! That's why you need to get up to Ohio with me and get you some Walleye !!! There is nothing better!!! They are not the greatest fish fight wise, but you want to talk about flakey white meat...we bleed 'em as soon as we get them in the boat, and when I filet them there is no blood and the meat is pure white.
Hope you can make it up to fish with me....
Tom

cedarslodge said...

Fly fishing is very different than fishing with a lure or worm type baits. The fly fisherman uses a artificial fly consisting of bites of feathers, foam, hide, fur, yarn, and other materials to be tried on to a hook that make it appealing to the type of fish you are catching.

Click Here