Monday, October 21, 2013

Oct 21- Bad Time Fishing

Ryan and I were dying to go King Mackerel Fishing...... However, persistent NE wind caused us to redirect our efforts. In hindsight, we would've been better off staying off the water entirely..... We did catch a few Bluefish and Lizardfish out by a Stop Net off Atlantic Beach..... Hoping for a Speckled Trout and finding........ NONE...... After that we went on a quick Albacore Cruise and there was nothing quick about that. I didn't want to run far to the east so we dropped that plan.... The last thing left for us was to scour the Beach for Schools of Red Drum..... Here's where it really turns sour..... So, after a 4 mile search, we found about 300 slot sized Red Drum milling in less than 2 feet of water. Beyond the breakers, under the foam. About 6 of them swirled and gave away the school..... Ryan and I salivated as we moved in to "collect our limit".... First I hooked up, first cast! Ryan hooked up! Mine pulled off...... I cast again, hooked up! Ryan pulled his off...... I pulled mine off..... PANIC! I said 11 oclock and cast again..... Ryan sailed off course to 1 oclock. Behind the school. My cast found paydirt! Hooked up! As I tried to show Ryan where to cast, I pulled the hook again. WHAT? Ryan's cast went un-answered. I cast again. NOTHING.... They were gone. Four Hook-ups. Four Pull-offs. Now they were gone. We searched for an hour and never saw them again..... Thus ended a Terrible Fishing Day..... Total Catch for the Day: 5 Inshore Lizardfish and 4 Bluefish 

4 comments:

Brian said...

I thought the story was going to end with your boat breaking up in the surf and you swimming home. From my office 300 miles inland your tale of woe sounded like a great day fishing!

Capt. Marty said...

You are right, it wasn't that bad! A couple of Drum would've been nice though!

Jordan said...

Capt Marty when is the best time to fish the shoals at cape lookout for red drum?

Capt. Marty said...

Well. In the past, I have found schools of Giant Drum in March, April, May, and June.... I have found schools of slots in July, August, September, October, November, and December.

Mega schools (over 1000 fish) best in November in my opinion.

My final opinion is schools are easier to find on the Shackleford Banks Beach in October than the Cape Lookout Shoals