Saturday, December 11, 2010

Hatteras Speckled Trout, Rain, and No Trout


I fished on December 10 and 11. On the 10th, fishing was repectable. Not up to Radio Island standards but I released 13 Speckled Trout in 30-40 minutes of fishing. What was cool about it (to me) was catching them in a tiny slough in the surf, Much different than what I'm used to. Standing ankle deep and casting to a sandbar 75 feet offshore and catching Speckled Trout on the backside of the drop-off. And I mean where the water dropped off from 2 feet to 4 feet. Pretty cool. All these Speckled Trout were from maybe 14" to 10". It beats workin! On the 11th, it was dreary, rainy, but slick. I couldn't resist trying it again. It keeps my mind off a darkening cloud of depressing thoughts that are moving in on me for some reason....Anyway, I never had a single bite. But, it was a great feeling and I considered the fishing to be great, standing in the rain on a desserted beach, tossing a grub into the surf. The Hatteras Charter Fleet had a great day yesterday catching Blackfin, Yellowfin, and Bluefin Tuna. Business is slow so today lots of boats went out commercial fishing today. Rolling the Christmas Dice looking for Bluefins. Not sure how they did, but watching them come in the Inlet as I stood in the rain casting for Speckled Trout damn sure made me feel better. Total Catch for 2 Days: 13 Speckled Trout

No comments: