Thursday, October 18, 2012

Oct 18 Great Barracuda of the Year




Larry and Anne have fished the Chesapeake Bay for Striped Bass for years and recently moved to NC and wanted to learn a little about fishing methods in this area. It was a fine day for it. A little of yesterday's huge ground swell remained and the Menhaden are still playing hard to get.... Those were our obstacles. We overcame them! Personally speaking, I'm a little unhappy because I had at least 4 instances of "broken lines" today. twice on 20# mono on King Mackerel tackle. Once on 8# mono while Larry was fighting a Speckled Trout. And finally, Anne popped 80# braid on an Amberjack. Makes me shake my damn head. I DO NOT LIKE THAT and IT'S MY JOB TO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN...... Once, I can live with. Four times, and I feel terrible and I apologize..... So, the catch was, all the Bluefish we needed on metal in the Inlet for bait. Anne then caught a Blacktip Shark that had us thinking.......Sailfish! Wrong. Larry caught a King Mackerel that had us thinking......Wahoo! Wrong. Then we had a double header and Larry got an Amberjack and Anne caught a 38lb Barracuda that was an awesome fighter and showed us the  0 to 60 mph afterburners that Barracuda's are famous for! After that, I took them to an inside "trout hole" and Larry showed me another broken line. I am sorry Larry! Total Catch for the Day: 25 Bluefish up to 2lb 4oz, a 15 lb King Mackerel, a 24 lb Amberjack, a 38 lb Great Barracuda, and a 25 lb Blacktip Shark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know. Maybe the next time