Sunday, October 7, 2012

Oct 7 King Mackerel, Dolphin, Amberjacks, Sharks, Red Drum, Sea Mullet, Spanish Mackerel and Bluefish

Beautiful morning and a simple boat ride turned into a great day of fishing. My girl had begged me to spend a day with her and she LOVES BOATS and LOVES the OCEAN so my idea to go on a "Boat ride" sounded like a good idea. Wonder what she thought when I loaded 8 rods and reels and a cast net into the SS Tugwell? Anyway, I caught a few dozen Menhaden "just in case" and then I convinced Jennifer that she "just had to see the Sharks" that were near the Cape Lookout Shoals! Well, 2 hours later found us 12-14 miles to the east in 100 foot of water in a pretty damn good King Mackerel bite. Between the Kings and everything else, we had constant action for 4 hours. Jennifer caught her first NC Citation King Mackerel when the third fish of the day hit the deck at 32 lbs. I got the best of her a little later with a smoking 35 lb King. We rifled through 36 live baits and caught a few of 12-18 lb Kings, plus a 12 lb Dolphin, a pair of 25 lb Amberjacks, and many Sharks. All Sharpnose Sharks except when my "guarranteed Wahoo" turned out to be a 85 lb Blacktip Shark. Early afternoon found us crossing the Cape Lookout Shoals and we stumbled into a large school of  Red Drum. I released 2 Drum and Jennifer released 1 Drum. All the Red Drum were slightly out of the slot at 30" each. We also caught some 1-3 lb Bluefish on the 5" jerkbaits that the Red Drum loved. I also caught a Spanish Mackerel on a bare jighead.. Finally, to finish off this unbelievable day, I saw a 28-30 lb Permit cruising a hard edge of a dry shoal. All I had was a white jerk bait and I lead the Permit perfectly. He hesitated. Tipped his tail up and looked hard at my bait. Then exploded off to deep water in cloud of smoke. At the same time, my rod bowed. What the hell. I saw the Permit leave to the west, but my line was running east. In a few seconds, I saw it was "not so big"... I turned my fish and gained on him, but it was still a tough customer. A minute later, I was holding a 22" Southern Sea Mullet. Unreal........  Now, the worst part of this whole story.... When Jennifer caught her 32 lb King Mackerel while argueing about the need for a "fish picture", I dropped my camera on the deck and broke a little piece of plastic off the bottom of the camera.  Damn, I thought I broke it. Nope, it seemed fine! Recovering, I convinced Jenn to hold the bigass King Mackerel. Just as was snapping the first of what was going to be MANY GREAT PICS, the bottom of the camera opened up and 2 of my 4 AA Batteries fell into Davey Jone's Locker.... The battery access latch was broken....... MFer because my cell phone camera has been In-Op for months and Jennifer didn't have her phone.... So, as of right now, NO PICS of my GREATEST DAY since 2006 have been taken. And the Kings have gone to the Smoker, but I've still got the Dolphin and the Sea Mullet. What the Hell... Day of the Year! Total Catch for the Day: 6 King Mackerel (32 lbs and 35 lbs), 2 Amberjack 25 lbs beach, 12 lb Dolphin, 85 lb Blacktip Shark, 3 Red Drum at 30", 2 lb Southern Sea Mullet, 2 lb Spanish Mackerel, 6 Bluefish 1-3 lbs and 12 Sharpnose Sharks at 8-12 lbs

3 comments:

Chris said...

Lots of fish, but a broken camera. Sounds like she's bad luck. Better to just take me from now on.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day of fishing

Capt. Marty said...

Anytime Chris. Fishing is good right now. I've always sung the praises of October. For several years I had Unbelievable BAD LUCK with Weather though. Finally a breakthrough this year!