Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oct 21 One King Mackerel Bite

It was a pretty day and I was feeling a little better in the back, the neck, and the knees..... My fingers had the feeling come back a little.... My God, I'm falling apart! Jennifer let me go out for a little fishing expedition and I really wanted a King Mackerel for the smoker and some steaks to take to Hatteras..... I knew there was a fairly large King Mackerel Tournament going on and figured all the spots to The East would be competitvely "covered up"... So I nabbed me a few Bluefish and Pinfish inside Beaufort Inlet and I pushed the SS Tugwell out on a plane and let her glide to a stop about 13 miles south of Beaufort Inlet. Thinking back about all the Shark, Amberjack, and Barracuda bites from a couple days earlier, I broke all my traditions and set out a 3 bait spread of live Pinfish.... Crazy idea. I was thinking way back to Admiral Currin's 65 lb King Mackerel caught on a pinfish in Oct of 1997. Also way way way back to Tony Englehardt's 28 lb King Mackerel in Sept of 1988 when one pinfish is all we had! Well, 15 minutes after setting out the baits seemed like a long wait, but the silence and speculation was shattered by an explosion behind the boat and a screaming reel on the short bait. As line peeled from my reel, I was very happy and very worried that I'd get spooled! Quickly, I got it under control, lines cleared, and The SS Tugwell headed in the right direction! My back and my neck felt great! Twenty five minutes later I was gaffing a beautiful 36 lb King Mackerel and I was thinking "mission accomplished".... Hell, maybe I should've fished the Tournament. Fished for another hour and caught 2 Sharks. Caught them on Bluefish, of course......... Ran home and was on the couch in time for the 4pm NFL games..... Later that night, my back ached, my neck ached, and my fingers were numb. You know, while I was fishing, I felt fine! Maybe I'm allergic to "not fishing." Total Catch for the Day: 36 lb King Mackerel and 2 Sharpnose Sharks 

2 comments:

Chris said...

Shoulda fished the tournament.

Anonymous said...

Make it count JACK