Thursday, October 25, 2012

October of 2012...... Perfect Storm Again

Here we go! A late October Hurricane is getting ready to ride the Jet Stream right into a collision with an early season mass of Arctic air somewhere off the US east coast. It's shaping up very similar to a couple of very memorable storms from the not so distant past. Creating another "Perfect Storm"...... First, who can forget the 1990 October Northeaster that pushed a Dredge Boat off anchor and dropped the Oregon Inlet Bridge. Remember? Then, a year later, a 1991 October Hurricane merged with a cold front to form the first aptly named "Perfect Storm". This storm crushed New England and was made famous by the story of the Swordfish Boat called the Andrea Gail. The boat was lost in the storm and speculation of what happened to them was the subject of a best selling Book and Movie......... Personally, I remember the 1990 Storm better. Down in Morehead City, it was blowing 40-60 kts and it wasn't quite rough enough to keep me grounded.... That night I left the Beaufort Waterfront in an 18 foot Boston Whaler and slipped around Radio Island and hugged the shoreline all the way to the old Morehead-Beaufort Railroad Tressle... I fished all alone that night between the Highrise Bridge and the Railroad Tressle with lights in the water and by scooping up Silversides with a dip net and sending them right back down on a hook produced Gray Trout after Gray Trout after Gray Trout.... It was a wide open bite and I'll never forget it. A few Bluefish, Speckled Trout and Silver Perch mixed in.... By morning, I estimated that I had caught 250 Gray Trout and had a cooler full of 1-3 lb Gray Trout. At that time, late October of 1990, I was having my best fishing season ever and I certainly wasn't going to let the WIND stop me from fishing because I was completely focused on "Trout Fishing" that fall and I knew the Trout bite that night was going to be EPIC! The next afternoon I woke up to news that the Oregon Inlet Bridge had collapsed...... Big Deal I thought to myself.....

Too many stories this week...... Not enough FISHING!

No comments: