Sunday, August 25, 2013

Aug 25 Part 3 A Bigger Bass (again)



I went back to the Mung Hole and tried it again... After catching little Largemouth Bass and Bluegills for several minutes, then they suddenly quit biting.... Hmmmm, could it be a large predator showed up? Suddenly there was a huge swirl and my little popping bug was gone... I quickly came tight and my lightweight flyrod throbbed... Then my little bug re-appeared at the surface and the fish was gone... Or was it? Two casts later, a green back broke the surface and my tiny bug was gone again in a second... I could feel the weight and the fury. Then up popped my fly again...... I missed him again. The tiny hook on the little popping bug wasn't finding a home. 0 for 2 on strikes from "big Bass"..... How many more chances could I possibly get? I kept tossing the same little popping bug. Nothing. No more little pecks from baby Bream, no action of any kind....  Finally, at the end of a long retrieve, right beside a mat of floating vegetation.... A large head slowly appears. Two big eyes come into view. Then a large mouth slowly opens and my little popping bug disappears again.... Whooosh. And the battle is on. This one pulls off all my line that was at my feet and I fight it off the reel. The biggest one yet. Jump.  Jump. Jump. I got the kid across the Ponds attention! Then my line bogs down in the vegetation, and into the Mung Hole I go again. Again, I find my Bass and bring it out.... Too bad this time I'm by myself and there is no way to do a self-portrait. So I laid the Largemouth Bass on the grass by my 3wt Fly Rod and thats the best I could do! In the "broken record dept", this one is now my #2 Career Best Largemouth Bass on Fly.... Third time in two days! Total Catch for this Session: 4 Largemouth Bass up to 5 lbs and 10 Bluegill 

No comments: