Thursday, August 1, 2013

July 30-Aug 5 Night Shift Fishing

Fishing around the Ferry Docks so far in 2013 has sucked.. No Flounder. No Sheepshead. The Ferry Division's Dredge is tied up over at South Dock and traditionally, or ever since my arrival in 2002, when the Dredge is over there, it messes up the fishing... Not sure why. Maybe the Flounder and baitfish follow the shoreline and they end up around the Ramps and under the Lights.. Maybe the Dredge pushes them off in a different direction, or holds them up, or simply repels them to leave the area. Regardless, the fishing has been awful....

On Wednesday night, I played with my fly rod and caught a few Pinfish and Bluefish.. I hooked 2 Flounders on the mudflats. One broke off the 5# test tippet and the other pulled off. I swam a live bait around for a couple of hour and had NO BITES..... I did manage to castnet 6 nice Jumping Mullets, which I cooked on the grill for lunch. Delicious...

Thursday and Friday nights, I have played around with my fly rod and I have not landed any fish.... Thursday night I had a Flounder eat my fly and he escaped.... Friday night I had a large Sand Perch eat my fly and he escaped. I also saw quite a few Squid. It might be time to break out a Squid Jig later in the week...

Saturday night I was up again and playing with my fly rod. Under the lights at South Dock, I caught a collection of Pinfish, Bluefish, and Sand Perch. Once again over on the north side, I had a small Flounder rise up and attack my fly. Once again, I failed to catch him... I've also been probing around with my Sea Urchins.... No Sheepsheads are biting. Summer of Disappointment on the Ferry Dock Fishing continues....

Total Catch for the Night Shift: 25 Pinfish, 4 Sand Perch, 3 Croaker, and 8 Bluefish

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey pal, I wish I was as good as you with that cast net! call me when you can, unfortunately I wish I could fish, but I will be flying around in the green machine this weekend.... Your invitation still is open for weds, these boys want to live bait fish, so let me know.

Real world problems!

Twell