Friday, August 9, 2013

Aug Part 1 8 Good Trip (Almost Great)

Chris, Jalen, and I went out on a inshore casting expedition and we found varying degrees of success in catching the things we were after... We also found a couple of suprizes, one of which is always a heartbreaker because I am never completetly prepared.... I am referring to Tarpon. Every couple of years I encounter a single Tarpon or a small group of Tarpon on the Cape Lookout Shoals. Everytime it is while I am rigged up and searching for something entirely different. My thinking is, if there is ever a time that I see them consistently for a couple of straight days, or see them in "fishable" numbers, I would make a "Tarpon specific" trip up to the Shoals and fish for them... So far, that hasn't happened. When we found them this time, there were three of them. They were cruising in 3 foot of water. We were all rigged up with stingsilvers... We followed them around for 10 minutes and cast all around them, both with stingsilvers and top water plugs.... I would've loved to cast a blue crab, or even a fresh dead menhaden, or a live bait in front of them... There was a good long period of time when we were very close to them and they didn't know we were there.. It was a great opportunity to catch a Tarpon. As usual, I was up in the tower and any hope we had to catch a Tarpon (identical to the Sailfish on may 29) rested on my ability and agility to get down on deck, rig something up to interest a Tarpon and to potentially catch a Tarpon, then get back up into the tower, find them again, and then make it happen.... I dream of the day that I might actaully have someone, a mate or an angler, that has the experience, the ability, and the desire to fish and think like I do.... That's never going to happen. Most of the time the guys on my boat are "dreamimg of Deer or Duck" and could honestly care less if a Tarpon or a Permit or a Hammerhead Shark or a Sailfish or a Blue Marlin is swimming up to the Boat. Well, no one cares but me so its up to me to make it happen. I'm getting old and achy so flying up and down the Tower is getting more impossible all the time, and there's no way to carry rods and reels and tackle up there for every possibility. Besides, who can anticipate a Sailfish a mile off the Beach or a pod of Tarpon swimming by the boat... No one. So it doesn't really bother me anymore. With the tackle we had on the boat, a weighted treble hook was our best bet to catch a Tarpon yesterday. That being said, there was plenty of opportunity to snag the hell out of one... I'm pretty sure I could've caught a "scale"... A fish attached to that scale? I doubt it... Other than that, we caught real pretty Spanish Mackerel and Bluefish on metal... It was always difficult. Never even close to "every cast".... Total Catch for the Trip: 9 Spanish Mackerel up to 2lb 8oz, 18 Bluefish up to 3lbs, and a 40lb Blacktip Shark 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just not enough Marty's to go around