Sunday, August 4, 2013

Aug 4 Sick and Tired of Poor Fishing

It is a pretty depressing feeling. After all the horrible weather that I fished through this summer,here I sit at Hatteras for the second or third shift in a row and it is absolutely gorgeous on the water... Just like yesterday. Just like tomorrow. Just like last week I was up here.... I am sick of it..... But, its pretty and I'm at the Beach. I should quit complaining and go surf fishing.... I can promise everyone this much, take a poll of Fishing Writers, Fishing Hall of Famers, whoever you want,,,, Name the Top 5 "Surf Fishing Destinations in the World" and Cape Hatteras will make the cut everytime.... Well, I've been up here 180 days per year every year since 2002..... Let me tell you, The Fishing Must've Been Pretty Good Back In The Day because nowadays, it flat out sucks... And I realize that just like everywhere else, Cape Hatteras has its days... The fishing can be great. or, it can suck... Overall, I have been very disappointed in the quality of my "typical" day of surf fishing on Hatteras Island. I have also learned something else, and this one stings a little.... I am absolutely horrible at surf fishing... No insight, no skills... So, with all that information hanging around my neck like a dead Albatross and shackled to my ankle like a Ball and Chain, I set off once again, sacrificing sleep and rest, to try and conquer the mythical Pompano once and for all..... Funny this Pompano obsession. I have fishing as harder for Pompano than any other fish since my arrival at Hatteras in 2002. I have given up on chasing the glamour fish. The fish of Outer Banks Surf Lore.... The mighty Channel Bass, the noble Speckled Trout, the misunderstood Bluefish, and the World's Most Popular Surf Fishing Species the famed Striped Bass.... I'd rather watch Deadliest Catch re-runs than chase those loser fish in the Surf.... The Pompano though, that's another story.. I chase them quite often. And I'm not sure why... Clearly, I'm the worst Pompano Fisherman on the Outer Banks..... It wasn't always like that. I clearly remember catching coolers full of them off The Morehead Ocean Pier. By 1973, I kept my name on the board all summer.... Pompano--Marty Moore--3lbs 8oz.... I was 8 years old and life couldn't get any better.... Then in October of 1990, in the rain one day at the Iron Steamer Pier I caught 49, count em 49, Pompano by myself one day... Then came the crash. The end to all normalcy in my Pompano Fishing Life.... Since that day in 1990, I've caught less than 10 Pompano. I can nearly remember them all. Two are significant. And there is the one I caught today.... On July 4th of 2001, I was at Ocracoke. Back then it was a Pompano Fishing Crown Jewel of an Island.... Lots of Citations were being weighed at Tradewinds.... So I decided to "go Pompano Fishing"... I even bought a Sand Flea Trap. This is how you tell your hardcore Pompano fanatic. The Trap. Mine cost $75 and lasted up until last year... Anyway, on July 4, 2001 I fished for Pompano with live sand fleas in crystal clear water in an area that was a "red hot" Pompano Fishery... In 5 hours I never had the first bite.... A true foreshadowing of things to come in the years ahead, as far as "my Pompano Luck" would go... Except things were different then. Ole Capt Marty still had a little magic in him back then! So, in one of the greatest moments in MY FISHING HISTORY I announced sourly to anyone who was listening "I am freaking sick of Pompano Fishing to hell with them" and I tied on a Stingsilver and figured after wasting a half a day "Pompano Fishing" I'd try to catch a Spanish Mackerel.... I angrily flung my stingsilver into the wild blue yonder.... On approximately the 10th crank of the reel handle I had a strike (I thought)..... The rod tip bowed and line zipped off my reel. The fight told me it was no Spanish Mackerel. The little warrior was relentless and the rod conveyed a "throb" that made me guess it was probably a medium sized Crevalle Jack... A "worthless" trophy but somewhat of a rarity in NC waters. I would be thrilled to catch and release a nice little Crevalle Jack... Well, the fish finally wore it self out and as I pulled it in the last 30 feet, I couldn't believe the identity of the fish that was becoming clearer to my wonderous eyes. I'll be damned if it wasn't a Pompano.. Foul hooked by a stingsilver. A one in a million catch. A Pompano would not just not bite a stingsilver because there is nothing in a Pompano's diet that is even similar to a Stingsilver...  A Pompano is a shy and skittish creature that would actually flee from an approaching stingsilver..... And it wasn't like the Ocean was teeming with Pompano that day... Remember, I'd fished 5 hours and not had a nibble, but also I'd never even seen one caught on the Beach that day........ For me to "snag" one, on my first cast, that is so unbelievable I can't, to this day, comprehend it. I'd never done it before and I haven't done it since... And to make the story even better--- It was a 2lb 9oz NC Citation winning trophy Pompano. Since that day, I believe I've caught 3 more Pompano. THREE MORE POMPANO. That is so incredible.... My God, I've been rambling! Yesterday, of course I hooked and lost a big Pompano.. This morning I went to the same spot. Hoping that today was going to be MY DAY.... I was looking for a Pompano and hoping for a nice one. Incredibly 30 years ago a cooler full of Pompano wouldn't have suprized me, here I was today, looking for a single Pompano! Anyway, skipping breakfast and sleep, I went knee deep into the Atlantic Ocean after my nemesis... The Pompano... And believe it or not, I got one! I caught a Pompano... And amazingly, it was a repeat of history! I actually snagged a Pompano on a bottom rig today and unfortunately, the hook went through his abdomen and killed him.. Unlike the July 4th fish 12 years ago this was no trophy. As a matter of fact, today's Pompano was about the size of my big toe...Not even... The size of my big toe nail... So once again, I can not catch a Pompano. How does this one fish do this to me. The Pompano truly does have me defeated. It is an amazing sub plot to My Fishing Life Story.... Total Catch for the Day: 1 Gulf Sea Mullet and 1 Florida Pompano

6 comments:

James W Lung said...

I remember in the early '90's one could catch 2lb Pompanos on the end of Sportsman's Pier on pink Gotcha's. My sister caught two weighing over 2 lbs. Near about wore her out.

Capt. Marty said...

Did you eat those Pompano? The reason I ask is that catching a Pompano on a gotcha would be incredibly rare.. Pompano are absolutely not fish eaters... Their diet consists of mollusks and crustaceans... Sand Fleas are their #1 favorite food. Since the gotcha plug mimics a 5" minnow, it is far more likely that you encountered the Pompano's first cousin, a juvenile Crevalle Jack. A very common and easy mistake and one that has been made and published by many local and national Saltwater Fishing writers and editors... Common mistakes like this are generally of the "who the hell cares variety"... This one is a little different though because Pompano are unilaterally renowned as a true gourmet food fish and Crevalle Jack is generally known as complete garbage as a food fish... Now, in fishing as my story pointed out, anything can happen at any time.... A Pompano could be "snagged" in such a manner that made it appear to have bit a gotcha plug. Unlikely but possible.. But to catch 2 in that manner would be unheard of.... So, in my opinion, yall probably caught 2 Crevalle Jacks instead.... But and this is a big BUT James.... As my story also stated, "What the hell do I know about Pompano Fishing!!!!" Anyway, if it happened in 1990, who knows the truth and who cares... If yall ate them and they were tasty treats, then something is wrong... Either Fishery Scientists need to re-work their fundings in Pompano feeding habits....OR..... Chefs and Cooks up and down the East Coast need to start firing up some Crevalle Jack fillets..... Just what we need, Blackened Jackfish to ease off the pressure on the Redfish... Sign me up, I like my fish blackened.....

Anonymous said...

Pompano on a gotcha? Sounds odd. Probaly a Yellow Tail or a Scat

Capt. Marty said...

James

Well Ive had several people tell me That they have indeed caught Pompano on Got-Cha Plugs... So I apologize and will amend my Pompano speech... Also, my lovely wife JENNIFER, thought I was abrasive in my response. I certainly didn't mean to be... There have been several instances of local fishing journalism, books, newspaper, and regional publications, of juvenile Crevalle Jack mislabeled as Pompano... The same Hacks have also printed Little Tunny photos and raved about the eating qualities of Atlantic Bonito. Simple mistakes, but both cases mentioned could result in mouthfulls of half-chewed fish spit out on the dinner table... Once again, I hope you forgive me James, and I hope those Pompano were delicious...

Capt Marty

Mike said...

Good to see Jennifer is editing your blog. Might keep you outta trouble.

Chris said...

I caught a Pompano tonight. In the dark. Off EI Beach. With a 4' cast net. It wasn't that hard--or prolly, I have fool's luck.