Thursday, August 8, 2013

Aug 7 NO Drum Red Drum Fishing

The worst kind of Red Drum Fishing is the kind where no Red Drum bite.... That is pure genius right there! It seems like every year I will make a trip down to Cedar Island a week or so too early and the result is a night with one or even NO Red Drum... This trip was that trip for me... Never mind that there were quite a few Drum caught last night...We ran into Capt Hauser of Johnny's Good Time Charters at the boat ramp... He caught 8 Red Drum last night... Tonight he caught one! Good Time Charters bested Top Water Charters ONE to ZERO..... For either boat it was nothing to write home about.... Capt Hauser blamed it one the East Wind.... I blamed it on the Calender.... There are 13 days until the Full Moon... In 6 days, the week before the Full Moon, the fishing will get better and better and better... And by the Full Moon of August it will be EPIC.... Meanwhile, fishing will get better and better near Beaufort Inlet as well. This morning Capt Tugwell rocked the 2-4 lb Spanish Mackerel on metal. "Every cast" he said.... We'll see. I was not really amped up about this Red Drum trip. I tried my best though. I re-baited 4 rods every 10 minutes for nearly 5 hours... That's 120 baits. That's 120 casts. No wonder the tendonitis in my shoulder is killing me! How am I supposed to cast for Mackerel tomorrow! Total Catch for the Night: 1 Bluefish

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard captn hauser also caught 17 on an earlier trip. I think you're right though....about one more week will be the ticket providing the wind is right......anything E never seems to work out there for me either.

Capt. Marty said...

It'll take 17 Red Drum to get me excited. I don't fish down there as much as I did from 1997 to 2004, but I laugh when guys get fired up about catching 7 or 8 Red Drum. I guess times are changing. As far the wind goes, of course the east wind sucks for Drum. Just like it does for everything else. The forecast called for SE 5-10. At 10 kts or less, the wind direction, in my experience, don't make any difference. The problem last night, and 95% of the time, is the the forecast was off again... 5-10 my ass, just like you can guess at this point, in reality the winds were 5+10 and on the water it was 15 kts SE and 15 kts is enough to matter.... Or, to make a long story short, the FISHING SUCKS....

Anonymous said...

Ah yes....the life of a weather man....to be wrong more than your right and still keep your job......we should all be so lucky.