Saturday, August 31, 2013

Aug 31 A Billion Minnows and The Big Prediction

Last night I went gigging in absolutely perfect conditions. The same shoreline where I gigged 2 Flounder on a falling tide two nights ago... The same shoreline where I saw dozens of "footprints" of large Flounder... Last night I saw nothing. The reason was there were so many silversides that followed my light....everywhere I went.... That I could NOT EVEN SEE THE BOTTOM in 1-2 feet of water. This IS AN INCREDIBLE PHENOMENON.... My prediction is: If this abundance of Bait continues for the foreseeable future, I predict that we will see OUTSTANDING Spanish Mackerel, Bluefish, Albacore, Gray Trout, and Speckled Trout fishing this Fall... I also predict that Flounder gigging may be difficult due to.... I guess I covered that already. I did throw my Cast Net on a school of huge Jumping Mullet last night. One glance over the rail and I could see at least 8-10 writhing Mullets in the Net. As I pulled my Net up and over the side of the Ferry, I could feel the mono webbing tearing apart.... Sadly, I could feel and hear huge Mullets drooping back into the water. As I finally pulled the Net over the gunnel, one lone solitary Mullet thudded to the deck. My cast net now has a gaping hole in it. Probably 30% opened up... The lone Mullet, headed to the Grill weighed nearly 6 lbs. A freaking Giant Jumping Mullet! Not a great night for Capt Marty.... No gigged Flounder and a ruined Cast Net. So much for "living the life".................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Need a new cast net