Friday, August 9, 2013

Aug 8 Part 2 Bad Trip

Tim, who struck out with me on Red Drum wednesday night, called me at 3pm and asked if I could help his daughter, Emily, catch a Shark.... Chris, Jalen, and I had just got back from Cape Lookout and the place was teeming with Sharks..... As bad as I wanted to go back up there rigged for Tarpon, I agreed to try for Shark instead... Tim was an exceptionally great client. Very funny and engaging, Happy even when experiencing "bad fishing"... I really wanted to help his daughter catch a nice Shark... After seeing what I just seen, I figured our best bet would be to sight cast to Blacktips with fresh Spanish Mackerel that we already had in the cooler... So we ran to the Cape Lookout Shoals, crossed to the eastside, and approached a finger shoal that ran east-west.... The sun was bright. The Sharks were there... I backed up to within casting range so the approaching swell would hit the bow instead of suprizing us broadside or breaking on the stern..... The first cast was off target, but the Shoal was very active. One 40-100 lb Blacktip after another... So I left the boat and bait in position... No takers... As we drifted out of range I cranked in the bait and prepared to re-position the Boat...... AND THEN A GIANT SLOW SLOW SLOW MOVING CLOUD ECLIPSED THE SUN and all our hopes went out the window.... We tried to anchor up and the current was all wrong... Emily caught 2 tiny Sharks. Newborns. I call them Sharpnose Sharks... I know newborn Blacktips are supposed to be 2 foot long. These were not that large... An hour passed and the sun came out... Now it was dead low tide and the shallow water, the glare, and every possible thing was against us... And when we finally delivered a bait to a cruising 50lb Blacktip, he went ballistic and made 3 quick circle around the bait and could not find it... As our boat drifted down on the frenetic Shark and the spot where the bait laid on the bottom, it was a race against time. Closer and closer we got. I know from experience that shifting into reverse will scare everything away within a 1000 feet....When we were 30 feet away and rapidly drifting towards the Shark, he saw the boat and took off across the Flat... That was the final straw... We gave up on the Shoals. We ran to inside Cape Lookout and tried bait fishing on anchor. Of course, that didn't work either, even though we caught a Cobia. Thinking about the thousands of disappointing Sharks caught Cobia fishing was no comfort... Thus ended the worst 24 hours of my Fishing Life. Total Catch for this Trip: 1 Cobia, 1 Bluefish, 1 Southern Stingray, and 2 Sharpnose Sharks

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marty,
Saw you at NE corner of Shark Island. Decent fish were hard to come by yesterday, small sharks and lizard fish were mainly what we caught. Typical August fishing.
Jerry

Chris said...

You're a good man, Marty. I'm sure that little girl was happy enough with the sharks she caught.

Capt. Marty said...

I tried my best. We ran a long ways and fished hard on a short, cut rate trip. That cloud really killed our best shot at a nice Blacktip Shark

Capt. Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I hear ya on tarpon. We fish out of Southport and got a tower on a Jones Brothers but hardly ever get chance to fish frying pan shoals with weather. Seems like years before in July / August winds hardly blew. Now SW 15kts plus all summer since putting tower on. I feel your pain