Wednesday, June 19, 2013

2013 COBIA SEASON in REVIEW

As of right now, I've had 49 Cobia caught on my Boat this year.... Despite this decent number, I consider 2013 to be a failure.. You have to remember, working a week on-week off schedule is great.... But I'm just as likely to miss great stretches of fishing as I am to hit it.... This year, I was around for some great fishing but I missed an entire week of pretty weather and great fishing.. I had an incredible stretch of bad luck with Cobia, especially the larger ones. On the Cobia that I hooked from up top, we had a long stretch of fish that mysteriously pulled off as soon as I passed the rod down to an angler from the Tower....... We lost 2 very large Cobias that got in the motor. Our crazy bad luck with Cobia also leaked over into more bad luck with other species.... Like an enraged 18 lb Dolphin 5 miles off the Beach that COULDN'T eat a live menhaden despite its all-out effort.... Or, worse, a fully lit up 7 foot long Sailfish that tried to eat a bucktail for 20 seconds in plain view, in crystal clear water, while 3 miles off the Beach.... These two were a KILLERS. The Sailfish in particular would've been a very very very very noteworthy catch considering TIME, PLACE, and METHOD

So, with 2 Cobia in the 75-80 lb range lost on the motor and at least 5 Cobia in the 40-60 lb class that mysteriously pulled the hooks after passing the rod down from the Tower, this Season was definitely testing my Confidence as a Fishing Guide and testing my Anger Management as a Fisherman...... I hardly ever lose a Cobia after they are hooked when I am fishing by myself.... To me, they may be hard to find, but they have traditionally been easy to hook and easy to catch... My most common problem with Cobia has been lifting Giant Cobia into the boat by myself. Thats' it. A few EPIC Failures, but not many.......... Back to this year.......Then, the final blow came on June 12th when we had a 75-80 lb Cobia that was eaten by a Giant Shark after a 15 minute battle...... This Cobia was a minute from the Gaff.... This was the final straw. How else can we lose one! (Oh yeah, I forgot the Cobia that had been on ice for 2 hours and I had already gutted that I accidently dropped overboard at the Boat Ramp while passing it to Jennifer's brother... Bryan was going to grill it up for his girlfriend, and it disappeared into the dark waters,,,, FOREVER)   So there was another way to lose one!  

Finally, the last nice Cobia we encountered, on June 14, I actually pulled the bait out of his mouth after he had picked it up, surfaced, and ran toward the Boat... I reeled up the slack and thought I set the hook..... I swear this Cobia smiled at me and the bait "fell" out of his mouth...... No one to blame on that one.... Maybe he was laughing at me. Whatever.

Now, all that being said, our Cobia Fishing just wasn't all that good. Guys that are bragging about how great it was..... They don't know what GREAT Cobia Fishing is! As I stated in an earlier post, The North Wind that we had on May 3, May 4, May 5, May 6, and May 7 killed our season.... For Knuckleheads that WANT TO ARGUE WITH ME, I suggest you read Capt Aaron Kelly's Blog. He had days where he equaled my season. They had limits of 8-12 fish on some days that weighed from 50 to 80 pounds each..... All those days of North Wind pushed that first wave, with all those fat, ripe females North of Cape Lookout....

Looking back, IF we'd caught 55 Cobias, including the 3 over 75 lbs, I'd say that I had a successful Cobia Season.......... IF we'd caught the 55 Cobia with 3 over 75 lbs, plus the early season, inshore Dolphin, and an "unheard of" Sailfish caught on casting a bucktail on light spin..... Then I'd say TOP WATER CHARTERS is a Red Hot Fishing Machine and it's going to be a Record Setting Season.... Oh Lord, so close.... Meantime, my fellow Captains and Guides up at Oregon Inlet are still seeing 50 fish a day and catching limits of BIG FISH.... I saw a catch the recently off a center console out of Va Beach that was fishing down off Dare County.... Four Guys and a Limit of 8 Cobia.... Four in the 70's. Four in the 80's..... That's a Cobia Limit that weighed well over 600 POUNDS....... That, my friends, enemies, and competitors IS GREAT FISHING.....  It is fustrating for me personally and professionally..... I did my best on the days that we exclusively targeted Cobia. I swear, sometimes its very easy. One day in May of 2010, we caught 19 Cobia up to 94 lbs.... That was a piece of cake..... This year was different... I'm sure some guys out of Beaufort Inlet had record seasons for them, but overall, off Beaufort Inlet, the fish were generally small and on MY BOAT..... Lady Luck WAS NOT on my side....

8 comments:

Billy Bob said...

Well at least ur workn on ur anger issues....I am sooo proud of you. You gave me the best day of cobia fishing and for that my friend I thank you. Keep up the good work and entertaining posts. Love ya meen it. BOb

Anonymous said...

Since you share info and I love reading your blog. I thought I would. Caught an old drum Friday evening cobia fishing at Bardens. Only one other boat in sight. Pretty cool. Oh yea. No cobia.

Capt. Marty said...

Bob,

Thanks Bob. It's been fun running up on you again after all these years... Very different paths lead us to the same spot. Crazy huh?

This winter you'll get your shot at hammering me.... I will need you to teach me A LOT in Slocums, Hancock, and Cahoogie Creek... Get ready...

SALT.

Capt Marty

Capt. Marty said...

Thanks anon, I have never encountered a Red Drum in that fishery...... I always figured it was a matter of time... And Hell, I'd guess anything other than a Southern Stingray was more than welcome! Glad you enjoy reading this blog and you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck Fishing..

Capt Marty

Capt. Marty said...

By the Way, the OREGON INLET based inshore/ nearshore Charter and Guide Fleet finally are seeing a fall off in the numbers of Cobia they are seeing, thus ending the greatest month of sustained Cobia Fishing ever seen on the NC Coast. The "best of the bite" started down just below Ocracoke around May 15 and petered out off Oregon Inlet around June 18.... Expect more great catches, but the "huge limits" may be over.... Anyway, we got ours, they got theirs...... Theirs was better this year, maybe a "wall of cold water" will hold em up off Cape Lookout next May and we can crush em for a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

If the IFs happened, and you had 3 Cobia over 75 lbs and a Dolphin and a Sailfish from out by the Trawler Bouy (correct, I was out there the day you saw the Sailfish---I could hear you) I would agree you wouldve had a great season

FinchasersUSA said...

You had a better year than we did Capt and I've enjoyed your reports. We still caught a few and had a blast while trying. Here's to hoping 2014 is a repeat of 2010...

Capt. Marty said...

Amen brother!