Sunday, June 2, 2013

June 2 Bad Luck--Good Luck





Two trips today. John was first and we rode west and hit 2 big bait balls. The first one, we were the second boat there and a nice Cobia had just been boated when we arrived.... Too Bad. We never saw another one.... Five miles farther west, we found another big bait ball. This one had 4 boats on it, and the motherlode had already been sacked up when we got there. While there I did hook a Cobia but it quickly pulled off. Before we left another lucky boat caught a 60 lb Cobia. That hurt, but it wasn't that bad. We were too late, nothing we could do to compete against the fleet out of Swansboro. We were way down there and we got there as quickly as we could! So at this point, we were "too late" but we'd only seen 2 Cobia caught out of 10-15 competing boats...... So we ran back to Beaufort Inlet.... One last Bait Ball before the Inlet.... It was "all ours", no boats around and there sat 2 huge Cobias..... John couldn't see them so I fired my bucktail.... A 50 pound Cobia enhaled it.... I set the hook 4 times and line raced off my reel. Finally, a SLUMP BUSTER!!!!! I passed the rod down to John and the line went limp. Slump Buster my ass..... Cobia Fishing Suicide watch has begun... This was awful. Our time was up and I'd hooked 2 Cobia and they both pulled off..... Never in my life have I experienced this....

So Laden and Tuggy rode back out with me and we rode east. On the way up we saw 1 that wouldn't bite and Laden caught a very small Cobia. Once we turned around and started back home, it all changed again.... Casting to Turtles, we caught 4 Cobia in rapid succession. Not big ones, we did get a catch of 20-25 lb Cobias. We saved one opening for a ride to Beaufort in hopes of getting a big one but it never happened..... Total Catch for the Day: 5 Cobia up to 25 lbs, 2 Bluefish up to 2 lbs, and 18 large Menhaden snagged

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah Great day on the TOP WATER!