Thursday, June 13, 2013

June 12 BIG SHARK DAY

Very, very interesting and enjoyable half day spent with Mark.... On a day where Mark wanted to learn lots of things about fishing Beaufort Inlet, the persistent SW wind had us "handcuffed" so I figured the best lesson to learn on this day would be how to "bait fish for Cobia".... WE did make the run out to the Shoals and looked around. I hope Mark got alot out of this trip.... As for the fishing, on a day where we DID NOT put a Cobia in the Boat, I can't imagine a day being much more exciting.... Something happened early that I'm still trying to come to terms with... We had a great bite, textbook hook-up. We had what appeared to me to be a 70-80 lb Cobia jump 40 feet out right off the stern. I'd bet my ass it was a Cobia. But uncharacteristically, it was rotating while airborne. And those big Cobia rarely clearly their bodies totally airborne... Thus, it looked exactly like a Cobia. Jumped exactly like a Blacktip Shark.. It was pretty close. There was some glare. I DID NOT see any Dorsal or Pectoral Fins.... Anyway, 10 minutes and 10 trips around the boat later, it seemed like the END OF THE GAME  on a BIG ASS Cobia. Then some weird things happened from the Rod's perspective.. Some pings, some hard shakes. The 80 lb PowerPro sends weird vibes anyway... This one was trying to tell a story... Something was happening 20 feet below the boat.... Suddenly...Ping and its over. Mark reels in and my 4 foot leader is bit off and 18" of it is gone.... Part of me said, well it was huge Blacktip to begin with.... Part of me said, WOW something crazy just happened.... An hour later, we had a bite that flat out Freight Trained 400 yards of 80# PowerPro in seconds. Tight drag. Never slowed down, never sped up,never changed direction. I cleared one line, saw what was up.... I dumped the anchor, seconds later there was a dozen wraps left on the reel, Mark squoze the drag and... PING, fish gone this time bit off at the hook... This was a 200-1000 lb Shark. I'm not trying to be funny, just to say it WAS A GIANT SHARK..... Makes me think earlier in the Day, hell our 80 lb Cobia got devoured by a Giant Shark. I thought it at the time, but it seemed too obscure... Now, I'm not so sure.... The rest of the day? After that, who cares? Total Catch for the Day: 2 Blacktip Sharks up to 50 lbs, 3 Southern Staingrays up to 75 lbs, and a 14 lb Bluefish

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Big hammer is my guess

Capt. Marty said...

I remember 5-6 years ago a guy who posted on NC Waterman was fishing at Masonboro and they saw a 13 foot Hammerhead chew up and spit out a 70lb+ Cobia... The Cobia tried to hide under his boat and they gaffed it and threw it in the boat (talk about having a bad day, that old Cobia really had a tough one!) Anyway, I remember the pics of the chewed up Cobia. Damn thing was nearly white it was missing so much skin!

Anonymous said...

Tony Parker in the NBA Finals

equals

Tony Englehardt on any playground 1977 until 1990

Capt. Marty said...

Anon,

Obviously you are close to this situation.... Call me because I wonder who you are. 252-241-8350

You are right, Tony was quick, fiesty, strong, relentless.... He was the master of the backboard and that came from playing older dudes when he was young... Thank God, I WAS ALWAYS ON HIS TEAM.... And I believe, I might be wrong, The 1982 ECHS Basketball Team made it farther into the State Tournament than any other team in East Carteret's History...

Of course, having a future NY Giant and a future Harlem Globetrotter on the same class 2A Basketball Team would nearly guarantee success in North Carolina, be it 1982 or 2013!!!

Tony was the Point Guard on that team and LOTS of People will never, ever forget him....

Ryan said...

I guessing that incident at the masonboro jetties was the same one I was told about. I was out there in the kayak that morning. I heard that hammerhead bit their lower unit after the cobia was gone...

Capt. Marty said...

Probably the same... The pics were really impressive. Big damn Cobia. Must've been a huge Shark. 800+ pounds. Once they get to "holy shit" size, I don't even know how to guess..... We ran up on a 14 ft Tiger last year. Saw lots of 150-300 lb Tigers that day too.... Dwarfs compared to the Huge One!