Thursday, June 27, 2013

June 27 Big Bad Blacktip Shark




If I thought it was rough yesterday....... I hadn't seen nothing yet! This morning, it was blowing 27 kts SW at 7am. By 2pm, it was blowing 30. The bait catching went okay. The trip to the Cape went okay. The fishing was not as good as yesterday, but still action packed..... However, the ride home up Back Sound was an experience that I'd like not to repeat.... Blast after blast of salt water across my port bow (and my left Jowl).... Pretty much blinded for a few miles and coughing and sneezing salt water... Hey, my readers don't care! Here's the story: We finally stayed attached to a big Blacktip today... Alan dueled it for nearly 30 minutes and we dropped anchor and chased him a mile! Finally me and Stevie Ray sank duel gaffs and laid this one to rest... The word is out, Blacktip Shark is rapidly gaining popularity as a "high end food fish".... Later, we got "bit off" by 3 other grown Blacktips and one took 400 yds of 80lb PowerPro because I didnt want to come off anchor because it was "Cobia Time" I got this one right because minutes later our Cobia popped up and we nailed a 38" keeper Cobia.... Other than that, more Sharks and Rays and Plenty of ACTION! Total Catch for the Day: 2 Blacktip Sharks up to 130 lbs, 1 Cobia at 16 lbs, 1 Blacknose Shark at 18 lbs, and 8 Southern Stingrays from 40-75 lbs

***Cobia #51***

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

51, it was my number when I pitched a 3 hit shutout when I was 14 in against west viriginia in the 16 and under national tournament down in FL. now I where 51, and carry 51 cent in my pocket every game.

Twell

Anonymous said...

Hey Marty, The Black Tip meat was awesome. We soaked it in buttermilk, marinated in Italian dressing, and grilled. It had the same consistency and taste of pork. Thanks for a fun day on of fishing. -Alan

Exmouth Fishing Charters said...

Wow the fish is so yummy... love it.