Thursday, June 6, 2013

June 6 Bad & Good Fishing Again


First up, Big John and I went across Ramp 55 early, early this morning at 1am and gave it our best shot.... I soaked a Sp Mackerel head for 15 minutes..... Nothing.. Meanwhile, Big John battled intense longshore current on light spin as he attempted to fish sand fleas in the slough. John caught a Citation Sea Mullet last weekend and was convinced he was "on a roll".... Maybe he is, but last night wasn't good odds....

So this morning, since BAD WEATHER is imminent, I rode out to Hatteras Inlet and saw a familiar sight milling around out by a sand bar.... Co Co Puffs and lots of them. All small, but clearly visible in the moderate surf and dingy water... So I cast to them with the only thing I could reach them with. A stingsilver. A bright yellow one. And I'll be damned if 10-12 little Cobia didn't give chase.  And a legal, 33" Cobia won the great race and he will be joining us for dinner on the Ferry tomorrow night. As if it couldn't get any sweeter, my next 10 casts were intercepted by 2 other Cobias.... Fortunately for them, they only made it as far as the Blue Water Board that I pirated off the SS Tugwell. One Cobia was 31" and his pal was 28". So they both walked... In the land of Pyracy and Mystery and all things Illegal and Immoral, Capt Marty did the right thing and let 2 Cobia go.... And I will feel the wrath of my crew for doing this... Remember, on Hatteras Island,  these guys could very well still be living in 1976... Still bragging about catching 50,000 pounds of Chopper Bluefish and getting 7 cent a pound for them.... Okay, sure would be nice to see them blitz again on Thanksgiving Day. That aint gonna happen in my lifetime again, I'm afraid... But, there are 2 Cobia today that met me, and they are swimming northward as I speak. It makes me feel good.... Total Catch for the Day: 3 Cobia up to 33"

No comments: