Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Back at Cape Hatteras

Once again back to my "real job"...... I needed a break from the sun and all the Rays that have been harassing me! I have the NIGHT RUN so there is a decent chance I'll get some Flounder and possibly a Sheepshead..... More likely, I will read about it and it will DRIVE ME CRAZY and I will hit the Beach (despite the SUN) and give chance to some Pompano and Sea Mullet..... Its that time of the year at Hatteras.... Citation sized Pompano and Sea Mullet is about the only thing possible to motivate me into "daytime action" right now...... Stay Tuned.....

Of note, my pal Capt Chris met CJ Leslie in the Newark Airport yesterday.... They also flew to Charlotte together.... CJ was up there to work out with the Brooklyn Nets.... Apparently CJ is an avid Bass fisherman from his days growing up near Holly Springs, NC.... Some of my best days ever Bass Fishing came from RL Vaughn's Ponds in Holly Springs....Anyhow, Capt Chris has got CJ all pumped up with prospects of a day spent fishing with TOP WATER CHARTERS.... He is very busy with the NBA Draft looming and various workouts around the Country.... Hopefully we can make this happen and it really sounds like a cool adventure.... It's not everyday we get to fish with a World Class Athlete and I hope I could put him on great bite of some variety!!! Hopefully not Southern Stingrays

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Holly Springs UNC fan is not happy about this recent development.

Brent

Capt. Marty said...

I know, for a FACT, that he can't out fish you, budro! I swear Brent, I needed you a couple weeks ago. I had the worse run of luck with big Cobia. Some pulled hooks, some angler error... People just weren't used to that size fish on spinning tackle... Things happened too fast for them... You would've put a couple of 75-80 pounders in the coffin!

Also, you know Eric Montross is a pretty (BIG) fisherman... He fishes with a friend and fellow guide named Buddy Goodwin down at Cedar Island.... Anyway, I missed that brush with fame!

Hope to see you soon and hopefully fishing will be great... I might see if you can swing by and pickup CJ on the way down.... Just kidding! I realize we are discussing some pretty serious differences when light blue clashes with dark blue or red..... As a fishing guide, I literally have to watch which hat I wear because it can "cost a lot of potential business" that is both funny, sad, and 100% serious!!!!

Anonymous said...

As long as you put me on fish, I don't care if you pull for Cow College. Just don't ask me to put down my blue fishing rod. I'll be happy to pick up CJ, he might not make it all the way there though. Actually my boys go to high school with his sister and she can also play some ball.

I hope to get down there soon. I need a break from work.

Brent

Davin said...

hey capt. Marty,
last year I emailed you to find out where to catch menhaden. my brothers and I have the hardest time catching them. we looked in front of harkers island where you said and still cant seem to find them. do you find them in the channel that runs between harkers and shack or directly in front of harkers any help on this would be greatly appreciated. still haven't been able to set something up with you but looking forward to fishing with you.
thanks,
Davin

Capt. Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Capt. Marty said...

Davin,

Every day this past week I found plenty, plenty Menhaden right off the eastern end of Harkers Island... Right off Calico Jacks to be exact.... 8-10 flipping every 2 seconds... Threw my cast net twice per day. Went Fishing with 8-10 dozen each day and used them all. Lots of bites and we really went through some bait.... But, that is exactly where we found them all week. In the strong SW wind, I was nervous about catching bait and my worries proved to be a unfounded..... Don't know how long they'll be there, but so far..... That's the spot. Good Luck guys, hope y'all catch them.

Mike said...

Don't forget the monster bass at the Hollows.

Capt. Marty said...

The Legendary Hollows Monster...... Did you ever go back there Mike? That Pond was so small. That Bass was a MEGA MONSTER considering his environment..... I swear the head lived in the frozen Hollows Swimming Pool until the Spring Thaw Out.... God, I wish we had cameras back then!!!!

Davin said...

Thanks for all the help