Wednesday, June 4, 2014

June 4 thru 10- Hatteras Fishing Tally and Happy Birthday Michael

June 4- Pompano Fishing begins with a THUD. When I crossed the Dunes along Hwy 12 and saw the mighty Atlantic Ocean for the first time this morning I knew that a Pompano wasn't very likely unless I rode up to Buxton and fished north of the Point. To the south where I was, the shore break was rough and the water was dirty. I wasn't willing to drive any farther than I was, so I guess you could say I went Sea Mullet Fishing instead.... My new Sand Flea Trap worked like a champ. I baited up 2 rods. I put one out right behind the first curl and the other way out on the inner cusp of the offshore bar.... It looked pretty good. I'm pretty sure if I wasn't "Trophy" fishing, I probably would've caught a few fish... What I mean is, especially when fishing for Sea Mullet, using Sand Fleas are specifically targeting the Jumbo Fish. If I would've bought some Shrimp, I probably wouldn't have had to post the Skunk picture again.....

June 5- Looks like way too much SW Wind this morning, which will really muddy up the water along the Beach. My Pompano dreams are fading again..... Today and Tonight is calling for SW 20-25. Later in the week its looking good with much lighter wind. I'm going to guess, with the winds subsiding and the surf all stirred up and water muddied up.... I'm guessing that the Sea Mullet will fire off. Maybe Sunday's east wind will bring in clear water and the big Pompano.

June 6- Today was a real pretty day, weatherwise. Unfortunately, the water right on the beach is still pretty dirty. Still not Pompano conditions. It was looking good for Sea Mullets and perhaps a Spot.... I didn't go however. Got to blame it on new Top Water Charters hero, Rashad McCants..... Damn Rashad, force me to sit up all morning watching ESPN Sportcenter, Outside the Lines, and reading news articles from all over the country.

June 7- Nothing was worth bragging about. They weren't worth running and getting the camera. They weren't even worth keeping and eating..... But, I did go fishing around lunch time on high water. Looking for a Pompano. Dreaming of Pompano, a big Pompano. the reality was, the water was dingy and the big Sand Fleas went unnoticed out there in the slough. Luckily I had some Fishbites Bloodworm flavored bait. I caught a few fish which was nice for a change. The headliners were a baby Summer Flounder and a couple decent Sea Mullet. I also caught a couple other little critters, including 3 Calico Crabs.....

June 8- Laziness has took hold and Capt Marty's fishing now consists of Oyster Toading at the Ferry Dock

June 9- No Fishing in preparation for Tuna Fishing tomorrow...... Happy Birthday to my Brother, Michael!

Total Catch for the Week: 6 Oyster Toadfish up to 3lbs, 1 Summer Flounder, 3 Southern Sea Mullet, 1 Spot, 1 Silver Perch, and 1 Atlantic Stingray



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cappy,

If you "THINK" you might be in a slump. Are you sure Pompano Fishing is a good idea? We don"t need no suicide on our hands. Go Pinfish fishing man . I think thats what you need.

The Dorchster

Capt. Marty said...

Never fear Dorch, I ain't gonna snuff myself out over a damn Pompano. Thanks for being concerned though. The show of love impressed me

Anonymous said...

June 6th, what the hell ate you rumbling bout?