Monday, June 23, 2014

June 24- Driving to the Walleye Grounds





So I left Hatteras at 1030pm and hauled ass for Ohio..... By 7am, I was at a place called Hancock, Maryland. The Potomac River runs through town. Its nothing like the Potomac that rolls trough the Chocolate City.... It is shallow and rocky... And get this..... It has Walleyes.... And Smallmouth Bass..... And Muskellunge.... So I waded out there with my fly rod and started frapping.... This was the first time in my life that I have "shared the water" with any of those great gamefish! Unfortunately, my Potomac Adventure was a losing proposition.... After missing about 25 hits on the popping bug, I finally hit paydirt in the form of a 4" Green Sunfish...... After visions of Muskys and Smallmouths faded away, I walked back to my truck..... Without a big history lesson (deserved) but Hancock is also home to the C & O Canal.... A pretty dirty, shallow body of water that I had to try...... And the Green Sunfish were chewing.... But at 3-4 inches, they didn't hold my attention too long..... So after a while, I hit the road. Headed out of town I crossed a small bridge, Glancing out my window...... Holy Shit, waist deep, running cold water. Boulders. Downed Timber.... I'm thinking Smallmouth and Muskie..... Again. Well, an hour later, I had lost a dozen flies, I had cussed 50 innocent passersbys..... I had cussed rocks, trees, power lines, limbs.... I even cussed myself.... All I had to show for it was my career first Longear Sunfish... Tomorrow IS MY DAY! Ohio Citation Walleye, here I am.... Total Catch for the Day: 7 Green Sunfish and 1 Longear Sunfish 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Capt. Marty,

Do you have any idea where I can find pogies for king mackerel/offshore around Morehead City/Beaufort/Atlantic Beach. I have never ever caught or tried to catch any but will be down with the family maybe trying to catch a king next week. Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

I dont want to sound like some asshole but your longear looks more like a redbreast. longear typically are covered in iridescent blues all over their body while redbreast just share the "longear" with plainer coloration. if you catch a longear, your first thought will be whether or not you caught some guys exotic aquarium fish lmao. Nice catch though both are typically tiny!