Wednesday, June 25, 2014

June 25- Lake Erie Walleye Slaughter








I don't know much about it, so I don't know what to say..... Apparently, the State of Ohio gives "Fish Awards" for Trophy sized Freshwater Fish..... A 28" Walleye is deemed a Trophy by The State of Ohio. Under their guidelines, today I caught 2 Walleye that were award winners. I caught another that missed it by 1". The total catch by my crew consisted of at least 4 Trophy Walleye. My largest Walleye was 9 lbs. My other 28" Walleye weighed in at 8 lbs 8 oz. All together we had 18 Walleye, of which 15 were 6-9 lbs. The other 3 were around 3 lbs. We also caught Freshwater Drum. Once again, according to the State of Ohio, I caught 2 Drum that were "award winners"... We also caught White Bass and Rock Bass... It's nearly time to eat fried Walleye Fillets so I'm going to finish this up quickly.... I will add, I hooked a Smallmouth Bass but it got away before I could land it..... Dammit Failure! Oh well, there is another day. More great Lake Erie Fishing to come. Total Catch for the Day: 18 Walleye up to 9 lbs, 10 Freshwater Drum up to 8 lbs, 3 White Bass up to 1 lb, and 1 Rock Bass 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diiiang....that's a load of nice fish. Is this a typical day's catch or is YOUR guide that good???

Anonymous said...

Way to go Marty! Be interested to hear how you think walleye compare to what we catch here around Beaufort. Hope you get into a bunch of big smallies!

Mark

Capt. Marty said...

These guys aren't into the "guiding" business but they are good at what they do..... And that's Walleye Fishing.

The other Anon, I guess Walleye are closest to a weird combination of Speckled Trout and Grouper.... No fishing in the MHC area is comparable to this.... Its different and they are definitely a "A List" Food Fish