Thursday, June 26, 2014

June 26- Lake Erie Adventure and Walleye Slaughter






Not sure what you've heard about The Great Lakes. Or Lake Erie in particular. But, I can tell you this, they have a Great Great Great Fishery up there..... The Walleye Fishery is outstanding. From the looks of it, the Yellow Perch and White Bass Fishing can be very, very good as well.... My crew is an outstanding Walleye crew.... I was merely a "Boat Dummy".... The Planer Boards and Worm Harnesses are out of my comfort zone. I got a good look at how all this works though and I can promise you that, while complicated, it is effective as hell and a fine tuned crew can keep you reeling in Walleye until your arms and wrists are tired. Fish Cleaning at the end of the day becomes a CHORE..... Today, we started trolling at 11am and fished until 3pm. We landed 14 Walleyes from 5 to 9 lbs each. We caught several more "Ohio Trophy Fish". We also caught Yellow Perch and White Bass. In two days of fishing with these guys, I personally reeled in 10 Walleye. I caught 3 that were at least 28" that were trophy sized. I caught 4 Freshwater Drum, one of which was a trophy. I also caught 8 White Bass and I lost a Smallmouth Bass.... Ouch. That hurt. I am taking home some great memories and a bag of great Walleye fillets..... Time to get home and get back out in the Ocean. Time to Go! Total Catch for the Day: 14 Walleye from 5 to 9 lbs, 8 Yellow Perch up to 1 lb, and 8 White Bass up to 24 oz 

3 comments:

Mike said...

Cool, glad you had a productive trip.

crosswinds in davis said...

Son of a biscuit eater....I'm movin up north if you can catch and keep stringers of good eating fish like that....dang a trout or drum with a one or 4 fish limit. Give me a list of towns please to research in that area since I'm retiring next year....and yes I'm serious.

Anonymous said...

Marty,

A quick update. I caught at least 150 smallmouth over the 6 day trip. Two were over 5 lbs, the largest 5.69. The average was probably close to 3 lbs. Catching a fish under 13.5" for the legal keeping size was a chore, but that is what we had to do to have food the last 3 nights and we managed to do it. The guide and his wife have been guiding in Quetico Canada for 40 years and you have to canoe in, camp and fish in the wilderness for 6 days. If your back could take sleeping in a tent and being in a canoe all day for 6 days, this would be heaven for you. I'll send a picture or two to your email.

Brent