Wednesday, June 11, 2014

June 10- Awesome Yellowfin Tuna Fishing





The Top Water Fishing Team spent a day fishing a little north of its usual territory! And the fishing was great! Yellowfin Tuna fishing reminiscent of the way it used to be at the Big Rock back in the 1990's! We were fishing the Point off the Outer Banks. Tuna fishing is alive and well out there. Tuna recruitment comes from the east out there, I guess... They got Tuna, Pilot Whales, and cruising Hammerhead Sharks everywhere you look! Fishing itself was good. Four flurries. One Dolphin bailing party in the rain. Two Yellowfin flurries on the troll. Lastly, we bottom fished in 460 ft of water and caught some Blueline Tilefish and other bottom dwellers. Hard work that was! Stevie Bittman caught the best Dolphin at 12 lbs and the best Yellowfin Tuna at 60lbs. Billy Harris was the "King of the Bottom" with 2 Tilefish and 2 Black Sea Bass on one drop. Total Catch for the Day: 11 Yellowfin Tuna from 35 to 60 lbs, 12 Dolphin from 4 to 12 lbs, 20 Blueline Tilefish from 2-5 lbs, 14 Black Sea Bass from 10" to 14 ", and 1 Red Hake

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.....that's a super nice mix of fish for the freezer.

Capt. Marty said...

I'm already sick of eating Tuna. But damn, delicious!

Anonymous said...

I'll take some if you're tired.....will be in davis next friday :)

Tom Chesebro said...

Nice goin' Capt Marty !!!! I knew they couldn't keep you down for long !!! Wish I could have experienced that fishing with you man !!! I'm jealous...

Anonymous said...

Did you try it as Sashimi? Ahhh I love it slabbed up and dredged through a soy-wasabi bath. Not as good as Bluefin but close. Funny, I despise Bluefin cooked. Yellowfin? You cant mess up...

Shark

Capt. Marty said...

Tom

We can surely put a group together for charter out of Oregon Inlet. Man, I'd be game sometime in October. Yellowfin fishing that month can be unbelievable. I remember going Tuna Fishing back in Oct of 2005 and being back at the Dock by 10:50am with 700 lb limit of 18 Yellowfin Tunas. Buffaloes.

Funny that down at Hatteras by Oct, Nov, Dec, the commercial guys will be fetching up to $3 per pound of King Mackerel, meanwhile the Yellowfins wont earn a buck! WHY? I've never been able to figure that out. Who the Hell is eating up all that Mackerel while the Tunas are there and commercially ignored?

Shark,

is that a Foster Shark or another variety?? Anyway, hell yeah I love sashimi. And you are correct. Raw Bluefin is the bomb. Cooked? My dog and cat runs from that stuff. My experience with grilled Bluefin. First bite is umm umm good. Second forkfull is okay.... Third time..The longer I chew it the bigger it gets. Yuck. Smells up the neighborhood cooking... But raw, it is pure silk. I freaking LOVE it... Better than Yellowfin. Apply heat, I'll take the Yellowfin 100,000 times over the Bluefin...

You nailed it. I love Yellowfin and Blackfin Tuna. Never tried Bigeye. I've eaten Skipjack but never will again. Strong. Bluefin, only raw. Crazy. I love that Family of Fish

Anonymous said...

Bigeye in my experience is not as yummy as yellowfin cooked but def better than bluefin. Not so sure with sashmi