Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Nov 10-11 Awesome Squid Fishing





I decided to drop the Night Run Fishing Tally for the last two nights of this Shift. Something unusual is happening and it is definitively "worthy" of having its own headline and report! What's happening is Squid.... That is not so unusual. It is mid-November. The water is cooling off and its time for the Loligo Squid to show up. What makes this years Squid special, so far, is their average size! They are big... The Biggest Baddest Squids that I've seen, except for the ones on the Discovery Channel. Don't get me wrong, these aren't 50 lb. Humboldts! But to me, they are Bad Ass "Red Devils", just like the ones off Baja California. Bad Ass. Bad to the Bone. Banging. Whatever you want to call it..... Back to Reality..... So, in 2 nights I caught several Squid over 20". The biggest Squid I landed was 23" long. It didn't have really long whips, so it was a stout 23" monster! The smallest ones that I've caught were 18" long..... And, I lost one that was probably 30"...... Of course I did....  Anyway, last night (11th) I fished exclusively for Squid with a rig contsining 2 squid jigs. It looked great! I hooked 11 and caught 10. Lost the Giant One. Sunday night (10th) I caught 3.... So I cleaned 13 Loligo Squid and you wouldn't believe the size of the bag of meat. Calamari! Total Catch for the Two Nights: 13 Loligo Squid 18" to 23"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know if they also show up in the beaufort/morehead area?

Anonymous said...

And what water depth?

Capt. Marty said...

Ive never seen more than a few in our area. I take that back, Shrimp Trawls catch massive numbers of very little ones.... The larger Squid, I've never seen more than just a couple.... You must remember, Hatteras is pretty much sitting 25 miles out in the Ocean. Maybe that's why I see so many up there. I'm no expert, but I have been catching them for 6-7 years and I've had many nights where I've caught 50 to 70 Squid.

As for depth, I caught these Squid in 2 different places. The North side's Squid were caught in 1-3 foot of water... The South side's Squid came from 4-6 feet of water.

Both spots are well lit and close to deep water.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply/info!