Sunday, November 24, 2013

Nov 24- Mountain Trout Grand Slam





I got my Mountain Trout Grand Slam today, finally. Fished the Tuckasegee River this morning and within 5 minutes I had released a Brook Trout and 3 Rainbow Trout. The next 2 hours were a steady stream of Rainbows in very tough conditions. Casting was hard because of ice forming in the rod's guides. After 2 frigid hours, Jalen and I climbed out of the River and took a short break..... We climbed back in a couple hundred yards upstream. I immediately started catching Rainbows and really pretty Brookies.... Then I hooked a fish that looked a little darker. I figured it was a Brook Trout with some spawning colors.... Nope, I was wrong. It was a Brown Trout! My first Brown Trout of my career and Mission Accomplished.... Grand Slam! I went on to catch many more Rainbow Trout and a few more Brook Trout.. Jalen caught 2 great Trout. First he caught a serious stud Brook Trout. Probably 16" but it was just a magnificent speciman..... Then, Jalen caught a trophy Rainbow Trout. Probably 21" and definitely over 4 pounds. Massive! We quit on that one. Jennifer had waited patiently for me for 4 hours, it was cold as hell, I got my Grand Slam, and Jalen got his Trophy! Jalen's skill in this River, his mastery of the Fly Rod, and his enthusiasm has had a significant impact on my life.... As a person that LOVES FISHING, loves the variety and challenge of learning Fly Fishing for Trout, Jalen is definitely The Most Important Person (as a Fishing influence) that I've met in a long time. Jalen will be working as a Fishing Guide on the Tuckasegee River in the very near future and I strongly recommend him. He is 100% the real deal.... Skilled. Patient. Insightful. Fun. Intelligent. Generous. Likeable...... In 3 trips to the Tuckasegee River, as an experienced fisherman with ABSOLUTELY NO SKILL or INSIGHT into this specific fishery OR this entire Fishing Concept, Jalen has personally"guided" me to approximately 110 Mountain Trout with all 3 species represented and a NC Citation Brook Trout..... All that in probably less than 10 hours of actual fishing time....Total Catch for the Day: 45 Rainbow Trout up to 4+ pounds, 15 Brook Trout from 8" to 14", and 1 Brown Trout

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you let Jalen catch the big one

Anonymous said...

Blind Hog finds an acorn once in a while