Monday, November 25, 2013

Nov 25- Awesome Brook Trout Fishing





We decided to keep some Trout to eat today, so our best bet was to head over to Cherokee and fish the Tribal Waters where there is a very liberal limit. You pay for a daily license and you can keep some fish.... Sounds good to me and the Rainbow Trout Fishing is supposed to be excellent... So, off we went and at first, the fishing seemed slow. Nothing would work. Spinners, Gulps, natural baits.... Finally, I tried Jalen's trusty peach colored Wooly Booger on my trusty 3wt Fly Rod and on the first cast.. KA--BOOM!  I caught a nice Brook Trout. Way more colorful than the ones in the Tuckasegee River... I didn't see that coming. I expected Rainbow Trout. Ninety minutes later, I had caught a two dozen Brook Trout and a freak Brown Trout... But no Rainbows.... Now I needed a Rainbow Trout for another Grand Slam.... Back at our Motel in Sylva and supposedly the Creek out back is loaded with Rainbows... It is actually called Scott Creek and it is a pretty well known and action packed fishery! Anyway, right at sunset I tried a quick casting session. 30 casts with a Mepps in-line spinner. One strike.... In the dark, I finally get a bite. Land it in the dark... What is it? Turn on my camera's flash.... Damn it's a 9" Brook Trout.... Total Catch for the Day: 25 Brook Trout 8" to 13", and 1 Brown Trout at 10"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wackem brother!

Capt. Marty said...

Wackem
Stackem

and......

Shillackem (in flour, salt, pepper, and hot oil)

Can't wait for the Day after Thanksgiving.... Trout dinners at the Capt Marty Residence

Mike said...

Nice

Capt. Marty said...

To whom it may concern:

Tonight I grilled 3 Brook Trout and 1 Brown Trout. I headed and gutted the Trout. I scored their flanks. Rubbed with Olive Oil and salted and peppered. I also lightly rubbed Emeril's Bayou Blast into scored sides. Grilled over Hot Charcoal.

Grilled Trout were freaking EXCELLENT!