Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Day Fishing



Too much Turkey. Feeling as stuffed as that damn bird. So I saw that it was a sunny, cool, breezy day. It wasn't too bad considering that it's late December! So I grabbed my beloved 3wt Fly Rod and headed across Hwy 70 to my Urban/Resisdential Fresh Water Fishing Playground, also called the Mung Holes. I nearly had a beautiful young lady with me, I thought! She faked interest and as I started to believe that I might have company, Alyx busted out laughing and chanting "Mung Hole Marty" over and over to roars of laughter from her enlightened crowd of sisters, cousins, and aunts... Even Emma was laughing with them, at me!  Alyx's Aunt just happens to be my wonderful wife, Jennifer.... Anyhow, I ashamedly creeped back into my lonely world of Urban Pond Fishing..... As I walked out to my beloved Pond,  I realized that all this was in "a catch basin for Rainwater" that the EPA mandated during the construction of this subdivision..... This is the Poorest Excuse for Fishing that I can think of.... Elsewhere in this Country, men are headed out, just like me, feeling a little too full and ready for the holidays to end.... These guys are going out on Majestic Mountain Lakes and Glacial Ponds, Roaring, Rock Strewn Rivers, Huge Southern Impoundments, and even Farm Ponds that are ecologically perfect... These guys are catching giant Florida Strain Largemouth Bass, huge Salmon and Steelhead fresh from the Sea. Mighty Northern Pike and delicious Walleye, Huge Brook Trout in full spawning colors.... Meanwhile, the best I can hope for is a stunted Bluegill or a sadly trapped Largemouth Bass... A pitiful existence for the Fish and the Fisherman.... I couldn't get any lower...... Until that Bluegill ate that popping bug! It was on! Christmas Day Baby! Fly Rodding Carteret County, It got better when the Bass slammed that fly! No Pumpkinseed meant no slam, but Mission Accomplished anyway. A Fish is a Fish is a Fish! Merry Christmas.... There are only 2 KINDS of People on Earth! Those who caught Fish today and Those who Didn't!  Total Catch for the Day: 2 Bluegill and 1 Largemouth Bass

2 comments:

Mike said...

This when Emma followed you?

Capt. Marty said...

Yes sir, Emma knows the way to the Mung Holes!