Sunday, December 29, 2013

Dec 28- Urban Fly Rodding


I wanted to go Boating and Salt Water Fishing but it didn't happen. Reports from the Cape Lookout Rock Jetty were poor and a potential Red Drum trip on another boat didn't pan out..... So I took the easy way out and drove 3/10s of a mile to the Beaufort Mung Holes. I grabbed my 3wt Fly Rod, which was probably a mistake. I could've used the 7wt Fly Rod to cast farther with larger flys. The Bass seemed to be active in one area that I could only reach from directly across the Pond. The 3wt simply wasn't up to that job. My best efforts were consistently 25 feet short.... Oh well. There will be other days, but they will probably occur in 2014! So what did I catch? Well, within 5 minutes, I had a very healthy little Largemouth Bass eat a green wooly booger. I thought I'd show them something other than a popping bug and right off the bat it seemed like a good idea. Then came a dead period. So it wasn't a goo idea! I tied on my trusty popping bug and I quickly got a roll, a flash, and a swirl under my bug. On my next cast, my Fly got ingulfed by a real nice Largemouth Bass and then I screwed this up. I wasn't sure exactly what I had hooked but for 8 seconds it tried to run and my left hand was too reluctant to give back the fly line that was coiled at my feet.... Should've let him run... Suddenly the Bass jumped and this was obviously the largest I've ever hooked in the Mung Hole. As the heavy Largemouth Bass cleared the water, his first gyration threw the hook. He landed with a mighty splash and it was over.... I should've quit right then. The little Mung Hole never recovered.... In the next 30 minutes, I got one bite and caught one little Bluegill. Damn what a Fish I nearly showed y'all.... I'd say 6-7 lb Largemouth Bass. Not a Fish for the tiny hook of a "small" popping bug. My largest Largemouth Bass on fly came on the 3wt and a tiny bug, but I knew I was lucky. Not today, I messed it up, or I was unlucky... Perhaps I was LUCKY to simply Hook this Beautiful Bass.... Total Catch for the Day: 1 Largemouth Bass and 1 Bluegill

No comments: