Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve and Giant Sharks in the Hatteras Surf

This was supposed to be "Happy New Year" to everybody, but something amazing is happening today that got my attention in a BIG WAY! Unfortunately, as far as the Fishing goes, I got up here too late.... Damn... Hopefully I will have a very interesting Jan 1, 2014 Fishing Report Tomorrow!!

So, here's the deal as I gather info.... Evidently there is a somewhat freaky, but not totally unheard for Hatteras, event taking place at Cape Point in Buxton. There is a body of water that is pushed right up against the sand that's temperature is in the mid-60s. Surrounding water both north and south is in the upper 40s to lower 50s. I was happy yesterday in Beaufort Inlet when I saw the water was 53 degrees. Anyway, up at Hatteras, this warm water is freaking FULL of SHARKS. And I do not mean Dogsharks. As a matter of fact, the boys are using half a Dogshark for bait. My pal Zack, formerly of Red Drum Tackle Shop Fame, caught a few massive Sandbar Sharks in the surf late this afternoon. He was informed that this morning there was an EPIC SHARK BLITZ out on the Beach. There was a 12 foot Shark released. I am still trying to figure out what variety it was, but we can eliminate lots of species. At that length, a Great Hammerhead or a Tiger is most likely. Zack's friend released 4 jumbo Sandbar Sharks over 125 lbs each . Amazingly the guys reported Sharks busting into groups of Comorants like Bluefish busting into silversides.... I am damn glad to report that something might actually eat those damn nasty birds..... Anyway, tomorrow morning I am going to do my best to get out there and take part in this AMAZING FISHERY.... Honestly, who would surprised if a few Great White Sharks aren't out there nearby. Guys, these mid-Atlantic Great Whites aren't eating Seals and Sea Lions like their cousins World Wide. They are too big to chase Menhaden, Mackerel, and Bluefish... I can promise you that 75-125 lb Sharks and big ass Rays are pretty damn high up on their Menu.... Commercial Dogshark season opens tomorrow as well... I expect lots of big Thresher Sharks will be By-catch up here at Hatteras as well... You know, I should've brought my Boat up here. I could've played Capt Quint. You know, in an early Winter season where the fishing has been slow and disappointing...... THIS IS EXCITING. The New Year's Day Massacre. The Cape Hatteras Surf SHARK BLITZ....

Okay that's out of the way, so, Happy New Years to all and to all a good night... I Love You Jennifer, Momma, Daddy, Michael, Edith, Ellen, BJ, and other family members. And Sam and Alyx, loyal followers and "Top Water Girls".... And Savannah, Betty, Bobby G 1, Bobby G 2, and the Dukester...... My new family! To The Tiger, Little Sid, Trixie, and Emma. To my neighbors, to my friends, to my "on the water" adversaries and enemies.... Happy New Year to all!

My New Years Resolution: Get in better shape, shake off this "blown disk excuse" for everything and FISH MORE and catch BIGGER FISH and make my Parents Proud and keep my Wife Happy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to u Cappy

Mike said...

Happy New Year

gerald said...

Did you get u get up with the guy from St Thomas

Capt. Marty said...

Gerald,

I talked to Chris today and he said he would try to get up with him asap... But NO, as of right now he has not spoken with Captain Bahame