Monday, December 23, 2013

Dec 23- Hatteras Freshwater Fishing



Disaster strikes during an interesting day of fishing...... Disaster strikes during an excellent week of fishing..... Take your pick! First, it was blowing too hard for the Ocean and it's Red Drum and Speckled Trout. So, wanting to go fishing today, I decided to make the into a place known to local's as "The Horseshoe Pond"... This place is far and away the Most Popular Largemouth Bass location on Hatteras Island. Everybody has a story about a Giant Bass that got away. Most locals believe that this Pond will give up a 12 lb Largemouth Bass eventually... There are other Ponds in Buxton and Avon. What sets this place apart is that this Pond is NOT susceptible to flooding and fish killing salt water. Also, you have to hike into this place. So, today I hiked in there and my first problem was that I didn't have any Bass tackle. As a matter of fact, the only freshwater tackle I had was a pack of "Trout Gulp".... Long, thin brown sparkly worms... They looked good, but definitely had the look of a great Bream bait. Plus, it was real small and weightless. Casting was going to be a problem... After a very, very brief search, I found a deep looking corner and I made my first cast! Half way in, my line went "weightless".. I quickly reeled up the slack and firmly lifted my rod. Pow Baby! fish on! After a large swirl, the rod throbbed briefly and the fish was gone. Hey, its looking good so I quickly re-cast the tiny worm and it got slammed. Quickly a Largemouth Bass went airborne. Not large, but its a fish. I got him in my hand and snapped a quick picture. Looking at the Bass, he looked wilder and healthier than Beaufort's Urban Subdivision Bass. Not sure why I said that, but its true. Then disaster struck. The little Bass flipped hard in my hand and swatted my Apple I Phone 5 out of my grip and into the clear cold water of the Horseshoe Pond. Within seconds I had the Phone in hand and the Bass was returned to the water... Oh Lord No. Soaking wet, but it was still working. I shook it dry, wiped it off, and sucked the water out of all the open ports the best I could. I found a dry, sunny spot and sat it down and returned to fishing. My heart wasn't in it though. In the next 10 minutes, I caught my first Hatteras Island Bluegill and several other Bass. I think one day I will return to the Horseshoe Pond and I would expect to find great Largemouth Bass fishing. I would also expect incredible misquitos and lots of Cottonmouth Water Moccasins. The Great Things in Life always come at a High Price. High Reward, High Risk......Now, my great week of Fishing and what happened to that? Well, Monday through Thursday, I fished every day with some degree of success... Then came Friday, Saturday, and Sunday... Its late December and the temps were near 70 with light winds! Why did I quit fishing? Well, I GOT SICK...... XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX (TOO MANY DETAILS and is that better Cousin Ellen?)....... By Monday and it's better now and I am looking to fish again. As a matter of fact, I even snuck out and smoked a Grass Carp that is in XXXXXXXX's XXXXXXXXXX XXXX on Hatteras Island. I ain't giving a lot of details and I promise I released him gently, but dammit... I'm Marty Moore and I Fish and I Can't Help It and I am an Addict and that damn Carp has been making fun of me for 10 years... I showed him who's the Boss..... Total Catch for the Week: 7 Largemouth Bass, 1 Bluegill, and a 11 lb Grass Carp

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Get a lifeproof case for that iPhone man! Well worth the investment