Friday, December 6, 2013

Shucking Oysters, Eating Oysters, and Oyster Philosophy

Last night I shucked a few Oysters. I ate a few raw ones too. I prefer them steamed over raw, but they're all good.... My main man Gary Cooper also fried up a ton of them to feed our Ferry Crew.  They were damn good. So good I got to thinking..... Here are my conclusions:

Ocracoke Island's Oysters are perhaps the closest Oysters on the East Coast to the saltiest and cleanest water in the Atlantic Basin, of course I'm talking about the Gulf Stream  (Most of Hatteras Island's Oysters are on the North End, closer to Oregon Inlet and farther from the Gulf Stream)  Anyway, for that reason, I believe that Ocracoke's Oysters are The Best I've ever had. A stunning combination of salty and sweet. As soon as your tongue captures that Oyster it is blindsided by a taste paradox of the most incredible kind...... And, for the little Crab Lovers. Two out of every three Oysters had a big fat baby Crab hiding out inside. That's about like a little kid finding an extra Christmas Present under the Christmas Tree on Dec 28th! That little Crab gives you that amazing little crunch and tiny rush of salt. Incredible.... Hey Mike, you want me to bring home a bushel for Christmas!!!!!

3 comments:

Mike said...

The Cedar Island oysters I had at the Boiler Room in Kinston were delicious.

Capt. Marty said...

Cedar Island.... pretty close to Ocracoke Inlet.... pretty close to the Gulf Stream....

Just Saying....

Mike said...

Yep