Thursday, December 5, 2013

Dec 5- Red Drum in the Hatteras Island Surf


My back really was hurting.... This afternoon I found a cure..... A Red Drum

I really do have the best job in the World.... Driving to work this afternoon, instead of sitting in traffic, I was fighting.... A Red Drum

Not such a bad deal! On my way to Rodanthe, I stopped at the Buxton Jettys. First guy I met was running off the Beach with 2 slot sized Red Drum in each hand... I said "Hey buddy I'm not the Fisheries Guy, I'm the Ferry Guy. Don't be fooled by my uniform.... where do I need to go?"  He pointed ahead and right, "between the north and middle jetty", he yelled as he disappeared behind a Dune...... Hell I didn't care how many Drum he kept, he is trapped by a rotten Bridge on a desolute Sandbar called Hatteras Island. He probably needs those Drum worse than any Lawmaker in Raleigh could ever imagine...... Anyway, off I went. My first bite was a 25" Red Drum that I decided to keep, and he will be part of a Ferry Boat supper later this week. In the next 50 minutes, I landed 3 other Red Drum up to 27".... Really neat battling 7+ pound Drum in a raging longshore current and undertow. The last Drum I landed took 10-12 minutes, up and down the beach.... I couldn't get him. It was crazy. When I finally released him, he swatted a swath of water up in my face that saturated my eyes, my glasses, and my cell phone. Defiance! The Red Drum truly is the "King of the Surf" (When there are no Blacktip Sharks or Sandbar Sharks around that is!).  Sight casting and Bait fishing from the boat is fun and all but nothing compares to this Fish when caught from the Surf!  Total Catch for the Day: 4 Red Drum from 24" to 27"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hatteras Sucks