Monday, December 16, 2013

Dec 16- Red Drum Blitz









Blitz! I do not use that term lightly..... I've been up here at Cape Hatteras half my life since November of 2002. I had the pleasure of being in a blitz of Striped Bass in the fog one afternoon at Hatteras Inlet in January of 2004. Adult Striped Bass were pushing Menhaden up on the Beach. Unfortunately, it was so foggy, you couldn't see what was happening in front of you. I left the Beach with 2 Striped Bass that day. Others caught more and I weighed a 38lb Striper for a guy.... Today was much different, but it was still a freaking EPIC EPIC Red Drum bite. Chew. Whatever. I'll call it a BLITZ for the Hell of it!  What started out with me noticing 4 guys consistently hooking slot sized Red Drum a couple hundred yards away from where I was casting.... It was about 12pm.  I was at the Northern Jetty, they were at the Southern Jetty. At Buxton, or the "Old Lighthouse Location"..... Eventually I walked over to those 4 guys. I cast a white gulp. Slam Bam. As soon as it hit the water I had a Red Drum hooked up. I landed a 25" Red Drum and tossed him up on the Beach for my one keeper..... I walked back to the surf and cast again. Slam Bam, again. Another Red Drum. In fact, my first 5 casts resulted in hook-ups. Then I popped off Drum #5. I quickly borrowed a jig head and resumed casting and catching Red Drum. Then I lost another jig head. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! I was using PowerPro and the Drum were causing such abrasion to wear out that PowerPro.. That's a first for me! Anyway, I hiked the considerable distance back to my Truck to put my fish in the cooler and retrieved more jig heads.... Looking at the distance, I actually drove around and parked in a different location. This entire process took 30+ minutes.... I wondered, "Is it still happening?" When I finally arrived back to the spotthere were now 8 guys fishing and everyone was hooked up or unhooking fish! Okay, this is a Special Bite. It is a BLITZ. I quickly walked back down there and over the next 75 minutes I caught 14 Red Drum on 14 casts. The 15th Red Drum popped the PowerPro again. I tied on another jig head. I was now close to 3pm. An incredible bite. I cast again and released a Red Drum. I took a few pictures and relaxed for a bit. Then I cast again and immediately hooked another Red Drum. I was popping pics of every Red Drum I caught. I figured I just as well go for 25 Red Drum. I cast again and released Red Drum #24. My final cast, I was wrapped around my rod tip and the frayed PowerPro snapped..... I watched my 5" white gulp jerk bait land out on the sandbar in the white water.... There was an immediate swirl over the spot. Another Red Drum had eaten my bait only this one was unattached.... I decided not to catch another one and grabbed my stuff and headed for the Truck. I turned a looked back. It was 330pm. This had been going on since 12pm. There were 9 guys still fishing. Three were unhooking Drum. Four were hooked up. The Blitz was still on.... It was A DAY TO REMEMBER in the Hatteras Island Surf. A special day. Total Catch for the Day: 24 Red Drum from 23" to 27" 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Smokes

FinchasersUSA said...

I've been hearing of a good bite up that way and was wondering when I would see a Capt Marty report. Have you checked your rod guides for nicks? The only time I've ever experienced power pro breaking like that was due to a bad guide. It was a very small nick. Take a q tip and run it around the inside of the guides, nothing should cause the q tip to fray.

Capt. Marty said...

Line was breaking at the knot to the jig head. I was not using a mono shock leader. Back to mono. PowerPro was totally unnecessary in this setting anyway, but thanks for the suggestion.

MM