Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Back at Work & The Oregon Inlet Bridge

It's that time...... My vacation is over and it's time to start a new shift at work....

Well, everything changed in a flash today. Supposedly I had Extra Night Run. That means go to work at noon and get off at 1230am. At Hatteras. The perfect time to hit every major lighted dock in the Village and fill a cooler full of beautiful and delicious Loligo Squid. Different, aggressive, unpredictable, exciting, and (did I say) delicious... Nice ones this year. Up to 28" long. Fierce. Actually pull drag as the bore away from you, spewing black ink.... Good golly what a fun night it was supposed to be! But.....

No, instead the decrepit Oregon Inlet Bridge has been shutdown and my entire week has been radically re-arranged. Right now I am somewhere between Rodanthe and Stumpy Point, running the Emergency Ferry and we will be running around the clock until 6am. Testing my bad back far more severely than a little Squid fishing would have. So, once again I find myself up here. Seems like 3 years in a row. I'm sure this will be going on for 6-8 weeks minimum and I will be asked to work lots of overtime before this is resolved. So forgetting my bad back for a minute, do I really want to lose another Speckled Trout season. I used to collect like Speckled Trout Citations in bunches.... I haven't got any lately because I've been up here ferrying Pilgrims the past 2 fall/early winters.... And here we go again.... Just thinking about it makes my back hurt... I sure would like to see (and feel) another 5 lb Speckled Trout before my 50th damn birthday!

Two nights in my shift, I can tell everyone this much: All those huge Squid that I was catching a month ago, that my crew killed last shift in my absence, and everyone is reporting seeing them. Massive die-offs included. Well, I didn't see any large Squid in the Rodanthe Harbor. But, the Harbor is FULL OF MILLIONS of their SPAWN. Last night in a Spot the size of a Flash Light Beam there would be hundreds of baby Squid. Everywhere you looked. Millions of them in that Harbor. It's incredible.... By the way, the schools of Squid on both sides of Hatteras Inlet are supposedly incredible. I am missing out. Dammit.

2 comments:

Mike said...

That bridge is supposedly pretty F'd up.

Capt. Marty said...

A dying Island needed its Albatross