Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Dec 18- A Pretty Damn Awesome Cast (part 1)



On some small level, today was my day..... Its was little too windy and the water is a little too dirty. It is a great day to soak bait in the surf for Red Drum.... Not the best conditions for tossing "fake baits". Personally, I like to cast grubs or gulp. So does a large percentage of other fishermen.... Okay, so today I slept until 10:30am. I got up and headed to the Jettys. When I got there all I found was a few disgruntled fishermen that had been there an hour and they had never had a bite. Oh well, I figured I drove all the way up there, I might as well make a few casts too.... And my first cast--BINGO. I got a beautiful 24" Red Drum out of the slough that runs right along the shore. It was a great battle right in front of me. Up and down the trough a mere 25 feet from where I stood. I finally slid my Drum up the steep beach aided by the crashing waves..... Mission accomplished and those guys hate me now..... I'm going to carry this report a little farther... I am eating a Red Drum for lunch as I type this. Here is Capt Marty's easiest way to prepare Red Drum. First, fillet the Drum and leave scales on..... Salt and Pepper (Old Bay or Blackening Seasoning or Cajun Seasoning)  the fillets..... Place the Red Drum fillets on the grill skin and scales side down...... Close the lid and forget it, you DO NOT have to flip the fillets...... 15-20 minutes later put the fillets on your plate and eat it right out of the skin.... Scales turn hard and black and meat pops right out of the skin..... I call it: Drum on the Half Shell.... Delicious! Total Catch for the Day: 1 Red Drum at 24"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those things look good....better than fried to me any day. Dang if they didn't brown right up nice and purdy too without turning.

FinchasersUSA said...

That's how I cook mine too. Sometimes I even add a little bbq sauce to them before adding the seasoning