Sunday, August 10, 2014

Aug 10- Great Fly Rod Action

This first Largemouth removed doubt..... Are they here????

Smallest Bass of the Day

These Bass couldn't handle the sight of this Bug!

This is a nice Largemouth for Beaufort, NC

The Chartreuse Bug gets another one

This 2+ pound Bass was my last bite before the Rod Breaking 9 pound Monster Hit!
As unbelievable as it seems, I discovered a "new" Mung Hole today.... And once I found it and walked in with my trusty 7 wt fly rod, it quickly became evident that the Largemouth Bass in this spot were not familiar with my popping bugs! I was only there for 15 minutes and landed 10 Largemouth Bass. Several of these were nice by Beaufort standards.... Then IT HAPPENED. I got a strike that immediately ripped 40 feet of line off my spool. Don't sound like much, but damn, these are "Mung Hole Bass"..... Then he jumped! And jumped again and again.... SIX POUNDS..... No, SEVEN POUNDS .....  No, EIGHT POUNDS..... Hell, I truly don't know. I caught 3 "Big Beaufort Bass" last summer. This one was Bigger!  I'm going to say an astounding NINE POUNDS..... It was a good long fight. I was patient. At the end, there was 6 feet of weeds between me and my TROPHY.. His last gasp brought him to the surface in one last feeble attempt to jump. Seizing this as an opportunity to stay dry, I pulled upward and attempted to "scoot " this HUGE BASS across the weeds... The Bass made his play downward, and of course, buried himself into the weeds.... At this point I pulled a little too hard! You'd think the app 6# test tippet would break? No, HELL NO, my 7wt Fly Rod fractured with a crack. Broke my damn rod..... Then, to make matters worse, I stripped down to my shorts and waded in after my fish....  Now, inches away, the tippet breaks. I feel the Bass but can't find his mouth. With my goading, he does a 180 and I feel him slip back to open water.... Five minutes later, recovered and in a show of defiance, the HUGE LARGEMOUTH BASS leaps for the sky. My little chartreuse rubber legged fly still pinned to his nose! Well, that's my freaking Fishing Report for this day... Dammit..... Total Catch for the Day: 10 Largemouth Bass up to 3lb 8oz

No comments: