Friday, August 15, 2014

Aug 15- Part 2 Buxton Beach Fishing

Billy walks the middle Jetty.... There are 3 of these things on the Buxton Beach

Beautiful Colors on an Ocean Flounder

Small Flounder, but spunky

Billy with a nice keeper at 19". Four great Fillets on one of that size!

Capt Marty with his Nemesis....... The Florida Pompano
Billy and I gave up sleep this morning and made the trek out to the Jettys that mark the old location of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. To make a long story into a short story, I guess you'd say we were targeting Pompano and Sea Mullet.. It quickly became apparent that this spot on this day wasn't going to work for these 2 species.... We were minutes away from bagging this entire idea and heading home and going to bed..... Even the Sand Fleas were diificult to find, but I found enough to get us by..... Lack of bites made sure that we had "more than enough"..... Anyway, on a whim, I tied on a leadhead and a gulp..... Guess what, I caught a Flounder. Billy copied me.... Billy caught a Flounder... and there you go. In the next 90 minutes, I caught 4 Summer Flounder and Billy caught 3 Summer Flounder. These Flounders ranged from 12" to 19". We had 2 keepers. I also caught....... DRUM ROLL PLEASE........... A Pompano! I caught a Florida Pompano. A damn Pompano.... Shew. A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.... Crazy... Total Catch for the Day: 7 Summer Flounder from 12" to 19" and 1 Pompano

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness u have caught THE POMPANO! Sigh of relief until u need to catch a _______? Capt Marty followers fill in the blank. I am betting on a mermaid. Egbert

Capt. Marty said...

I damn sure dont want a fricking mermaid. Anything but that, Christ Egbert. Buy a Field Guide and pick something.

Capt. Marty said...

Id rather catch ebola

Same result

Tom Chesebro said...

Sounds like Billy is your prize student Capt.!!

Anonymous said...

Bought a field guide. A snook maybe. So what is your next nemesis or conquest? I agree with tom, billiie is a quick study! Have u cooked the flounder???